Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock with balance escapement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jpewslgl
    Participant

Hi all!

I’m cleaning and servicing a Seth Thomas movement that has a balance assembly rather than a pendulum. It’s made in Germany for Seth Thomas, so I believe that makes it a Hermle movement. The number is A401-003. It has chime, strike and time trains.

I have it all back together and it is ticking! However, it does not sound like it is in beat. I know on the pendulum movements with a verge and crutch, you make sure the movement is level and then bend the crutch to put it in beat. This one does not appear to be affected much by being out of level and there is nothing to adjust the beat. It does have an adjustment to make it run faster or slower.

Does a balance movement need to be in beat the same as a pendulum movement?

Thanks for the help,
      Jimmy

willofiam

Hey Jimmy, yes they can be put into beat, if you have what I am thinking, the lever at the top of the coil spring will adjust that. well here is a pdf to check out, ftp://atmosman.com/pdf/hermle.pdf , thank the atmosman for providing this…have fun :D …William

jpewslgl
        Participant

Wonderful! Thank you very much for that link. It was very informative.

Jimmy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.