Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock to play with yay. but know how to let down springs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    james1983
    Participant

Got a clock to play with, an old seth thomas. Now how do i Let down the springs and keep them from springing out inside in the clock? I dont got any let down keys.

Thanks guys.,

James

Bob Tascione

Hi James,
        You’ll need some sort of a let down key. You can make one very easily by using a piece of large wooden dowel or something like a piece of a wooden broom handle about 6 inches long. Drill a hole an in one end an inch or so deep and then cut a slot across the end through the middle of the hole and then insert the handle of the key that you use to wind the clock. Make the hole and slot so that the fit is a little snug if possible. Try not to drill or cut any deeper than is needed to keep it as strong as possible. These let down keys are not as strong or as safe as the type you can purchase but they can work fine if you’re careful. Be safe and wear gloves. You’ll then need to retain the spring so that it doesn’t just expand out into the clock. You can use the C retainer ring that I show in the course or a stiff piece of wire tied around the wound spring. Arutha covers a good way to do this in the hints and tips section using nylon ties at http://clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=292

This whole process is covered well in the clock course if you would like to see it being done.
        Good luck and enjoy James,
        Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.