Home Forums General Discussion Forum clock suspension spring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

I got a clock in for service today and the suspension spring is broken. Now i have replaced these before, but this one is a little bit different(I will post a picture soon) the pendulum leader and the suspension spring is one whole unit meaning its made out of a metal rod and the end was hammered to form the suspension spring. My question is can i solder this or do i have to hand fabricate a new one or is there a replacement ones made? This is on a steeple clock and I don’t think there is a brand name on the movement. This movement is really small and is in bad shape as the escapment wheel is bent. Is it even worth repairing? also any tricks on straighing the bent gear? Thanks

willofiam

I have made these suspension spring leaders in the past, it is a bit of a process, hammering, filing, smoothing ect….get it very to close thickness, width and length to the original and it will work. @chaplin37 wrote:

can i solder this

depends on where the break is BUT I do not recommend this as a proper repair. I have seen them for sale somewhere but I have not found anything to help you out, possibly ebay??? You can also change to the different style suspension seen in other similar clocks.

@chaplin37 wrote:

any tricks on straighing the bent gear

Very carefully 😯 are you asking about in the flat of bent teeth? In the flat I chuck them up in the lathe, use something to show where the bend is (a pointer on a stand) as it is turned by hand in the lathe, many different approaches (thumb and fingers) to carefully bend back into shape. hard to describe but you can either twist or bend depending on the direction you want to go, all the time checking with the pointer to see if the whole diameter is the same distance away from it as you turn it….by hand…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.