Home Forums General Discussion Forum clock stopping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Im servicing a deneker grandfather clock and it runs with no problem. Once i put the pendulum on it will swing for about 5 min and then stops. As soon as i take the pendulum off it starts ticking again. Any suggestions?

gerene
      Participant

You probably already checked it, but just to make sure: are you certain the clock is in beat?
        My (limited) experience is that when it ticks without the pendulum it is probably a question of putting the clock in beat.

regards,

Jan

chaplin37
        Participant

Hi Jan,

That just dawned on me after I posted and I checked the beat this morning and it definitly is in beat. What i did notice is that when i took the hands off it didnt stop running. I’m just taking a guess at this but could it be that the hour hand could have been pushed too far down?

Thanks

gerene
          Participant

If the clock runs without the hands then most likely the hands will bind somewhere ;)

Jan

bernie weishapl
            Participant

Put the hands on one at a time. First put the minute hand on. If it continues to run then take it off and put just the hour hand on. If it stops something is amiss and it could be rubbing. If it does run with it on add the minute hand. If it stops running then I would say you are losing power somewhere in your time train. So if it runs with them on one at a time but not with both the weight of the hands believe it or not could stop it. Then you will need to go back to recheck your service. Did you polish the pivots? Check each pivot with your finger nail to see they are all smooth and no rough spots. Have all the holes been checked and pegged out? Did any of them need bushings and if you did put bushings in check those for loss of power. Make sure they aren’t to tight. Check and make sure you have end shake in each wheel. Just some things I would check if it were in my shop. One thing I also do before final assembly is to assemble the time train without the verge on. I spin the chain wheel to get it going pretty good and if it spins for a few seconds it is probably ok but if you spin it and if the train stops pretty quickly then something is wrong in the train. I do this with the chime and strike train also. Just some thoughts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.