Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock runs, hands dont move

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    myclockrepair
    Participant

I have a H.M Grandfather clock that runs but the hands will stop moving when it is getting ready to strike. I have recently discovered after hours of adjusting that it is usually on the 45 min or hour strike. If I take the minute hand off and move it to the 15 min position it goes fine. These are the original hands and the clock has run for several years without difficulty. It also seems like the locking lever is to heavy to be lifted. I can lift it slightly when the hands are stopped and they start moving normally. Any suggestions?

Bob Tascione

Hi Myclockrpair,
        A quick question. Is the clock stopping or just the hands? You mentioned hands stopping but I just want to make sure as the solutions for both ailments are different and I don’t want to take you down the wrong road.
        Thanks,
        Bob

myclockrepair
        Participant

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve been working with the minute hand, and thats what stops moving. The clock time train continues to run.

Bob Tascione

Hi Myclockrepair,
            Sorry about asking that question. After looking at the topic again “Clock runs, hands don’t move” it was clear to me what you meant.
            Since it’s occurring at times of strike/chime set up and at times that the hand weight is presenting most resistance (just before the 3rd quarter and 12 o’clock) and as you stated lifting the locking lever slightly allows the hands to move again my feeling is that one of the levers is beginning to stick a little. You can try lubricating the lever posts and manually move them a little to see if things loosen up. If they do then I would recommend a good cleaning and oiling if you haven’t already done that. I’m assuming that you haven’t worked on the movement yet so probably nothing might have been changed like a lever dragging against something, lever spring tension changed etc. and that normal thickening up of oil and dirt are causing the problem.
            This may be something you’ve already tried but if not it would be the first thing I would check. Additional tension could be added to the cannon pinion but I would first try to eliminate any lever sluggishness.
            I hope this helps myclockrepair,
            Please let us know what happens.
            Bob

myclockrepair
            Participant

The pic is a pre clean pic, so it looks much better now. Its been running on the stand for a couple of weeks (without the hands), I was very proud of myself. Till I put the hands on. Every lever, pin and ledge involved has been removed, re-cleaned, oiled and adjusted to death. They all seem to move freely without sticking. I’ll try a few more adjustments and see where that leads. Thanks again.
              Richard

Bob Tascione

It sounds like you covered everything and would have found the problem if it had anything to do with the levers. Yes I think if you add a little more tension on the cannon pinion that should do the trick.
                Please let us know the outcome myclockrepair,
                Bob

myclockrepair
                Participant

I gave it a stern talking to but that didn’t help, so I tightened the tension on the cannon pinion and it has been keeping good time for about 24 hours now. I think we got it, thanks for the tip.
                  Richard

Bob Tascione

Hey good to hear Richard!
                    Thanks for keeping us posted on the outcome.
                    Bob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.