Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock running too fast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    marko66
    Participant

I have an older Sessions craftsman-style regulator that I thoroughly cleaned and reassembled. The clock now runs too fast, even with the pendulum in the lowest possible position -it gains several minutes per hour. Any reason why it would do this?

mahlon
      Participant

Hey Mark, I am working on a Seth Thomas #2 reg. I was having the same problem. What I did was, lengthen the pendulum leader, enough that I could then regulate the speed with the reg nut. With all the damage there was with this clock, I think the last one to work on this clock, made a new leader and suspension spring and got it too short. 🙄 Mahlon

mahlon
        Participant

Mark, If this is a clock that has been repaired by someone else, it is possible that one or two of the wheels in the train have been replaced with wheels having too many teeth. This reg that I am working on, had two wheels that had been replaced with wheels from a Seth Thomas that was made for a short drop. Mahlon

arutha
          Participant

Just check to make sure the escape wheel is not tripping through the pallets although if this was happening it should stop the clock.
            As Mahlon suggests check the suspension spring, if too short it will cause the clock to run too fast. Does it definitely have the correct pendulum and is the pendulum rod the correct length?
            Paul.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.