Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock newbie…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rpbell
    Participant

Just enrolled in Bob’s courses and am looking forward to learning about this fascinating hobby. Not interested in a commercial venture; rather, I have several older clocks I”ve collected over decades and just want to get them cleaned, running, and (hopefully, for those with the capability) chiming. Here’s the scoop on me:

Born in Selma CA (south of Fresno)
      Raised in San Diego CA and Midland TX
      Married a girl from the same 3rd grade class; July 19 will be 47 years (can’t believe she’s that old!)
      Interested in amateur radio from youth, now KX7Q (c. 1984)
      Former ARRL Section official in Nevada, California, and South Texas
      Started computing in about 1978. Have owned dozens of systems. Currently prefer Apple Mac, but writing this on Windows 7 HP desktop (I’m computer poor over here, having XP online as a server, Debian Linux, iMac, Macbook, and formerly supported both IBM and DEC minis. Owned Integra System Inc., VAR of police records management systems, and @Webtique Development (domain name sold, still active), an early web-development firm for clients
      Visiting grief/bereavement chaplain, including Riverside National Cemetery, dozens of other cemeteries; grief facilitator, and pastoral grief counselor

Hobbies also include:
      1. Jazz/blues/early rock and roll drumming (still have my original 1964 Slingerland 4-piece in champagne sparkle, plus 3-4 other kits, eg. Gretsch be-bob, and more snare drums than anybody needs…and my wife will support that statement)
      2. Locksmithing
      3. Collecting old electronics, including transistor radios, 2-way, “walkie-talkies” (back when that was the name by which they were christened), CB, and Ham
      4. Although never licensed as a pilot, I have a big interest in flying and especially historical air crashes and disasters (daughter was CSR for Southwest Airlines before she starting having babies)
      5. Computers and networking, wrote my first HTML in 1992, dBase/Foxpro programming, also RM-Cobol, Novell Certified Netware Engineer

and most importantly, I am a Christian (period. Not a hyphenated-Christian, just a Christian, pure and simple; a disciple of Jesus Christ, washed in His blood), which basically means:
      1. Saved by grace through faith (Ephesian 2-8-9)
      2. Justified by the obedience of faith (Romans 1:5, 16:26) and not by faith alone, which is dead (James 2:24)
      3. Raised up from baptism through faith in the powerful working of God, Who raised Jesus from the dead (Colossians 2:12)
      4. Walking in newness of life (Romans 6:3-4)
      5. Making my own calling and election sure (2 Peter 1:10)
      6. Working out my own salvation with fear and trembling, according to God’s sovereign will (Philippians 2:12-13).
      7. Giving diligence to show myself approved of God (2 Timothy 2:15)

willofiam

Howdy rpbell, welcome to the forum :D pure and simple….oh so true. ;) looking forward to some photos of your clocks. which one do you think you will attempt first? though you may not want to delve into a full blown venture the techniques of proper repair and restoration will still apply (I am sure your looking at that for your own clocks), Bobs videos explain that you can still do proper work with the simplest of tools and of course as ones budget allows, search this forum for past suggestions and ideas. one suggestion for starting is to work on a simple movement (maybe a time only) and maybe not so valuable, possibly buying a movement to practice some repair techniques on. By all means we look forward to positive and uplifting comments and ideas here along with a bit of fun. William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Welcome rpbell. Ditto what William said. I agree with starting with a time only till you get the feel of clock repair.

peggy332014
          Participant

Welcome to our group rpbell! I’m a Christian too! Nice to meet a new brother!

When I started in March of this year, I dove deep with my first clock! It had been weather-damaged and had not run in over 30 yrs. The gal said I could take it and get it to work, and if not, no problem but that she’d like to have it back since it belonged to her mom.

It’s a 1918 Seth Thomas Gingerbread Kitchen clock. It had the chime, alarm, and time. I took it apart and forgot how it went back together. These guys got me a schematic of the movement, and I got it put back together. I even redid the box to restore it the best I could. The originality of the clock had been compromised in the weather anyway, so all I could do was make it look better. When she got it back, she was so excited! It’s still ticking today! Here’s some pics of it. Like Chris had said.. dive in and go for it.. and I did!

peggy332014
            Participant

Oh, and you can follow my post on that clock by looking up “My first clock repair!” in the forum.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.