Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock collection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    msp2502
    Participant

Hi All
      Have been bitten by the clock bug for about a year now , slowly running out of room to put them so have had to temporarily stop any more purchases to keep the peace at home. To fill the void have started a small website of my collection
      so if any of the clock people out there are interested have a look – https://geppettosworkshop.wix.com/clocks
      My wife is often heard exclaiming “it`s like Geppettos workshop in here !” hence the name. I`m sure there will be inaccuracies in my descriptions so feel free to put me right.
      All the best Malcolm

arutha
      Participant

Very nice work!
        I have never seen a french clock case like the one you have! I have plenty of the slate type but not wood cased with inlaid marble, that is a little bit special! The W & H is beautiful, they are one of the best made movements around, very sturdy and a joy to work on. I serviced one recently that had not had a service for at least 25 years. It needed just one bush on the centre arbor. People are realizing how good these clocks are and they are shooting up in value.
        You have a great collection and many thanks for sharing :0
        Paul.

msp2502
        Participant

Thanks Paul, I`m not yet brave enough to touch the workings of the W&H. Have spent most of my time getting head around the countwheel clocks but intend moving on to the rack and snail in the coming months – but they seem lot more complex at the moment!
          Malcolm

arutha
          Participant

Hi Malcom,
            just take a good long look at the movement and try to work out how it all works before taking it apart. Take photographs as you go so you can look back if you are not sure how something fits. These are strong chunky mechanisms and if they were not so valuable would make the perfect learning mechanism as you would have to be a bit brutal to mess something up. It is always better to be cautious than just diving in if you are not sure.
            Paul.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Hey Malcolm,

I can only echo what Paul has already said, great work and equally great site, really interesting and I particularly enjoyed watching the Utube vid of the chime.
              You have an eclectic collection of clocks, all unusual and something that I can appreciate. I especially liked the time clock, punched one myself for many years 😆

What did you use to redo the gold trim and other parts of the cases?

Chris

msp2502
              Participant

Chris
                Interesting you mention the gold trim , I thought I may get a bit of criticism for overdoing that as it seems a lot of collectors prefer the dull aged look. On the Sessions clock the gold of the dial was particularly bad so I didn`t have a lot of choice but do something to it – I used a unipaint brand gold marker pen for the entire dial which worked well for going around the numerals , it turned out much better than I had expected. I then dabbed on a bit of gold wax gilt I found in an art shop which gave it a two tone gold effect .This was repeated on all the gold fittings The wax gilt was very useful because diluted with drop of white spirit it becomes a paint and I used this to paint the detail on the iron Ansonia.
                I will get around to adding short video clips to most of the clocks on the site.
                All the best
                Malcolm

Bob Tascione

Really nice collection and website Malcolm!
                  Bob

chris mabbott
                  Participant

Looks great Malcolm, innovative thinking on your part. I’m always looking for new restoration ideas, I think that’s the fun part, getting it looking like it did the day it left production.

Yep, It’s a personal thang, blonde’s or brunettes as the song goes 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.