Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock click spring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Not sure how this got all bent and damaged but when you wind the clock it does push the click down so I’m guessing it has lost its spring and I will have to fabricate a new one. My question is what metal to use? I have used feeler gauges in the past for pocket watch springs but this click has too big of an arch for the feeler gauges I have.

chaplin37
      Participant

Sorry it does not push down on the click. In my response above i said that it does.

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
          You can use any high carbon steel like an old clock mainspring, file, saw blades etc. I keep an assortment of 01 flat stock on hand for springs and other parts that need to be hardened and tempered. You can get 01 flat stock at just about any metal supply house. Here’s a link to some: https://www.metalsdepot.com/products/toolsteel.phtml?page=o1flat&LimAcc=%20&aident=

Enjoy,
          Bob

chaplin37
          Participant

Thanks Bob

This helps out a lot.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

I have used all of what Bob has suggested for springs. I also order from the same company to get a little wider metal to make those springs. Get your thickness and order some. It take patience but all I have made have worked well. The metal does need to be hardened and tempered. Easy to do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.