Home Forums General Discussion Forum Clock Bushing Systems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oldtimers
    Participant

Hi,
      I’m new to the forum and to Bobs courses and am engrossed in both!
      Although it’s been a hobby for me for a few years now I’m seriously considering doing a little part time work soon. I’ve used a hand bushing tool up to this point and would like to move up to a more productive bushing setup.
      I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to which bushing systems ie: American System, Bergeon, KWM, to use. Which seems to be the most practical and any differences they may have.

Any help will be appreciated,
      John

Bob Tascione

Hi John,
        I like the American System. It’s the least expensive of the three bushing systems. It uses the same size reamers and bushings as the KWM. The American system doesn’t offer as many different sizes as KWM but you can always fill in the size gaps with KWM bushings. Also I believe the American Bushings are the hardest of the three.

KWM is great but more expensive. Really good size selection though.

Bergeon offers great quality but is the most costly of the three. Offers the best range of outside diameters which is handy when removing as little brass from the plates is critical. KWM reamers won’t work with this system.

All in all the American System can save a lot of money if you’re doing a lot of bushings. It adds up pretty fast.

Hope this helps John,
        Bob

marc hildebrant
        Participant

Group,

With regard to the American system, what would be the correct bushing tool ?

Marc (New Member and Learning)

Bob Tascione

Hi Marc,
            As far as I know the KWM reamers fit the American System bushings OD. This is the impression I’ve always been under. I’ve noticed recently though that some places like Butterworths offers bronze American bushings that can be used for either Bergeon or KWM. I don’t know if those are just “bronze” bushings made in America or they are the “American System” bushings. I really don’t know much about this topic and maybe someone else up here can help clear this up for us. Just to be on the safe side I would suggest specifying when ordering that you want “American System bushings” to be used with KWM reamers (if that’s what you want to use).
            Enjoy Marc,
            Bob

marc hildebrant
            Participant

Thanks for the info Bob.

Marc

marc hildebrant
              Participant

Group,

I finally have time to get back into my clock hobby…..so, new questions.

I have a Sherline Mill that I bought from a neighbor. Can the Mill be used to help with installing clock bushings ?

Marc

Bob Tascione

Hi Marc,
                  I didn’t realize you had posted this message after your previous post earlier that day. I assumed it was the same post which I had read shortly after you posted.
                  Yes you can use your Sherline mill for bushing. It will work great as you will have almost no spindle run out when using a collet.
                  Enjoy and sorry for missing this post Marc,
                  Bob

marc hildebrant
                  Participant

Bob,

Thanks for the info with regard to the Sherline Mill.

Could you point to the needed tools that I would need to buy to work with the Mill ?

Marc

marc hildebrant
                    Participant

Bob,

Thanks for the info.

Marc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.