Home Forums General Discussion Forum click spring replacement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tracker
    Participant

I need to replace a click spring in a mantel clock. I have read that you should use a shim between the click and the wheel before hammering down the rivet.Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use as a shim for this work? Thanks.

arutha
      Participant

If you are replacing just the click spring then a shim would not be necessary.
        If you are replacing a riveted on click then you could use a thin steel washer cut in half and placed under the click (between the click and the plate) before you hammer in the rivet, the washer is cut in half because it needs to be removeable once you have the rivet and click secured in place. This must be done otherwise the click would be so tight when rivetted onto the plate the spring would not be capable of pushing the click back in place after being moved out by the ratchet wheel.
        Paul.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I do the same as Paul but use a extremely thin main spring with a V cut in the end. I slip it under the click then commence to round over the rivet. Once done I will pull out the mainspring piece.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.