Home Forums General Discussion Forum Click Spring Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    silverbackmg
    Participant

Hello Everyone, I have a question about a click spring. I have a B.W. Raymond Elgin 571 21j 16s pocket watch in the shop. I have replaced the mainspring, balance staff, Pallat fork, 4th wheel and escape wheel. The problem is this, I am not sure where the end of the click spring is supposed to be. There are two teeth on the click. Does the end of the spring fall between the two teeth or behind both teeth. When I wind the watch, I have no power. I have checked the pivots and the jewels. I have cleaned it again. When i remove the plate over the escape wheel and fourth wheel and give the stem a slight wind, there is power to the 4th wheel. When I release the stem, the fourth wheel spins. I put the plate back on and set the balance in motion, the excape wheel just turns back and fourth and does not advance in the clockwise direction. When I apply slight counter clockwise pressure on the fourth wheel, the watch runs. I know that this is a very technical question, I just thought that I would write it down and see if I get any suggestions. What do you think Bob? Thanks, Ric

silverbackmg
      Participant

Ok Guys, This was the problem. I decided to retrace the power back to the mainspring. I removed the pallat bridge and pallet fork. I slightly wound the mainspring. To my surprise 😯 , NO power. I began to loosen the mainspring bridge plate. After loosening the second screw, the wheels began spinning. I removed the mainspring barrel and placed it on a bench block with the arbor in a hole. The mainspring barrel was not level :?: . I opened the barrel and found that the tab on the mainspring tongue was not in position over the slot, therefore causing the barrel cap to not close all the way. I repositioned the mainspring with the tabs in position through the slots. When I replaced the mainspring barrel and the bridge plate, I gave the stem a little spin and BINGO 😮 . The train is working perfectly. Problem Solved. :D Moral of the story is: Do things properly the first time and you won’t have to stress and drive yourself nuts trying to figure things out. Keep your head in the game. Ric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.