Home Forums General Discussion Forum Cleaning a silvered dial

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    martinbevis123
    Participant

Hi

I have a Bentima mantel clock which I am currently cleaning up and repairing, but I am not sure which is the best way to clean the silvered dial. As you can see the dial is a bit mucky, though the numbers are good. All I want to do is clean the muck off but am aware that this is a delicate surface. I have read on the net that cream of tartar can be used, but how and in what quantities. I look forward to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

martinbevis123
      Participant

Hi

Sorry this is the Enfield.

arutha
        Participant

Hi Martin,
          that is a printed dial not a silvered dial. silvering is mainly done on brass dials and they have engraved numbers which are filled with black wax.
          I have spoken to a few dial restorers about 20th century printed dials and they have all told me that not much can be done with them in the form of restoration. The best you can hope for is to touch the numbers up with a fine black permanent marker and a VERY gentle wipe with a warm fairy liquid solution and a further wipe with clean warm water.
          Any form of rubbing will show up so if ever you are buying a clock with this type of dial one of the most important aspects is the dial, unless it is a common model were you can find a replacement I would avoid anything with a tatty printed dial. You can buy new replacements but they never look right.
          Regards,
          Paul.

martinbevis123
          Participant

Hi Paul

Thanks for clearing this up for me and looking into the cleaning of this dial. Feel a bit foolish but hey, we have all got to learn somehow! That’s why when I was researching the cleaning of these they always seemed to be on a brass base and this is on thin metal of some sort. I will get the fairy liquid out but won’t be expecting big things. ❗

Martin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.