Home Forums General Discussion Forum Changing watch face

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kybill2011
    Participant

Hey Guys, Bill here. I have just about got my reapir area set up and will be attempting to work on my first pocket watch. It is an Illinois that has a bad cracked face and some internal problems too. My question is, if I replace the face with one that has no name how does this affect the valve of the watch.
      I do not have the watch in front of me right now so I can not give you any other details. Illinois is on the movement and I believe also the case. I don’t believe the watch is anything special, just trying to find out how much difference a plain face would make. It is 17 jewels.

arutha
      Participant

Hi Kybill.
        If its just a watch to work on and you are not worried about its value you can change the face, hands or case but it will always be worth more if kept original. The cracks in the face can be cleaned (I will look up some info on this for you later) and they look a lot better when there is no dirt in them. If it bothers you that much then keep your eye out on e-bay for a donor movement with a good face, you can always change the dial at a later date. I dont know if it is the best thing to start with as I am a clock man and dont know a great deal about pocket watches, Bob will give you the answer to that one. Well done on getting your repair area set up, all you need to do now is post a couple of pics in the new “My Shop” section.
        Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it goes.
        Paul.

kybill2011
        Participant

Hi Paul, I guess I understated the condition of the dial. Not only is it cracked but pieces ( 4mmx4mm) are there but broken out. I had planned on selling them thru my pawn shop and I know the value will be less if not the same dial is used I wsas just wondering how much of a difference. I’ll try to post more info on the watch later. Thanks, Paul

arutha
          Participant

Ah I see, in that case unless it is something very unusual I would replace the dial with a plain one if it is that bad. Again like I said earlier you could look for a donor but if you just want a quick turn around I wouldnt have thought the original face would make a huge difference.
            Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi KyBill,
              It would make a big difference to a collector.
              It’s always best to keep the original dial if at all possible or try to locate the exact dial as Arutha suggested as changing to a generic plain dial can devalue it a lot. This is especially true if the watch is valuable or highly collectable. If the dial is chipped to where the underlying metal is showing then sending the dial out to be repaired or in the case of a painted dial, repainted is often a good option.
              Enjoy,
              Bob

kybill2011
              Participant

Thanks Bob, I’m still new to the pocket watch game but I don’t think this watch is much of a collector. It has a twenty year case and the plating is worn off pretty badly around the hinges and the curves. However when I get it cleaned up and working it should make one of my customers a nice time piece.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.