Home Forums General Discussion Forum CC21 Certification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Has anyone here ever taken the CC21 certification or thought about it? I’ve downloaded the document for the AWCI that they provide on their website. Was wondering for the people who have taken it, was it worth taken and what was their testing experience like?

bernie weishapl
      Participant

I took it and IMHO it is a joke. Customers don’t care as long as their clocks or watches get fixed. There has been a mass exodus from the AWCI as they are supporting the watch companies rather than the independent watch/clock maker. The big rub is that they are not supporting the independent watchmaker when it comes to spare parts. A few years ago there was about 5,000 or more members but today it is somewhere around 1300 to 1500 and a lot of those are ones that paid for life membership many years ago. I stopped taking in modern watches a few years ago when the watch companies started restricting selling parts to independents and if you did get a account it was because you bought all the equipment they required which cost into the thousands of dollars. AWCI hasn’t did a thing to try and change that. The other thing that bothers me is they don’t support clockmakers either. As one member put it a couple of years back it is like we are the bottom of the barrel or secondary citizens. They talk a good talk to get you to join but IMHO don’t back up that talk. If you want to take the exam just to say you did it that is fine but to me it just doesn’t have any meaning or backbone. Mine is somewhere in one of my desk drawers as I took it down off the wall and filed it. I dropped my membership several years back because I just wasn’t getting the support and they weren’t doing anything to help besides the fact since members were dropping like flies their membership fees went thru the roof. Just my $1.298.

chaplin37
        Participant

Thanks Bernie for the information i really appreciate it and didnt think it was worth it like ive figured out take the CW21 isnt worth it because of the restricting of watch parts to everyone. Makes me wonder why anyone who wants to be an independent watchmaker would go to WOSTEP school and figure out that they cant even service the modern watches that they want because of those restrictions. Sure they can go work for rolex, but what happens if they want to live in the town they grew up in and those big companies have no service center anywhere close.

arutha
          Participant

Hi Chaplin,
            my friends brother completed the Wostep course and is now working for Patek. You are correct in that you would have to move to be within travelling distance of one of their service centres but it is a great way to get into watchmaking. The course itself is very expensive so you need to be committed and dedicated. I don’t think you can really compare Wostep to the certification you are considering.
            What Bernie said about having a qualification is very true, my customers too are only interested in wether or not I can repair their clock.
            I do occassionaly get asked if I have any qualifications and I tell them the truth that I fell out with the BHI over the fact they do nothing to support those learning clock repair. Yes you can buy their distance learning course, yes you can pay extra to have your work marked and yes you have to travel to their building which is miles away from me to sit an exam. None of which my customers are interested in. Your quality of work will always mean more than a certificate hanging on your wall.
            Paul.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

That is very true. Unless you are going to work for or have a job at one of the cartels service centers I don’t understand spending thousands of dollars with no certainty that you will get parts. There is no guarantee at all you will get parts after attending WOSTEP. Several years ago I had a friend that had his accounts closed for modern watches because he wouldn’t buy $34,000 worth of equipment they demand he have in his shop. Another buddy in Maryland had his accounts closed because he wouldn’t buy the equipment. They also want your shops to be like a sterile lab. How many of us have a shop like a surgical lab. So from what I gather now AWCI is trying to appease the big watch companies especially since these companies donate thousands of dollars to AWCI then they are going to be at their beckon call. Like I said maybe 5 yrs ago there were over 5000 AWCI members and now I think I heard is was less than 1400. Don’t know and don’t care. I had the old CC certificate and it is filed somewhere as customers didn’t give one hoot about it as long as their clock worked that is all they cared about. I was pretty proud when I got it as I could tell the customers I was certified. 90% said so ok but can you fix my clock and make it work. That’s when I pulled it off the wall about 25 yrs ago and filed it. Haven’t even looked at it since if I could even find it. LOL

IMHO the cert’s is a joke and oh in order to keep it up they want you to take CEU (continuing education units) to keep it up. Just another way for AWCI to pocket your cash for what??

Just my $1.298 which isn’t worth much. Have a good one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.