Home Forums General Discussion Forum Case Restoration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

I have a few old pocket cases that need to be repaired, the hinges are loose, and open too far, while I have played with them a little, I am looking for a reference, books, videos etc that cover that subject. Not really looking at polishing aspect, but more of the mechanical repair aspect.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!

tmac1956
      Participant

Steve:

I’m about to do a soldering repair for a hunter case. I’ll let you know how it turns out. However, this might help you a little.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repairing-Watch-Cases-How-to-CD-Book-/361266981274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=4J13gITwxku6RfA0E%252B1Flu%252Byyjc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Later,
        Tom

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Interesting, I found this book on Amazon…

http://www.amazon.com/Repairing-Watch-Cases-W-Schwanatus/dp/0930163710/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432698277&sr=1-1&keywords=repairing+watch+cases

The author is W. Shawanatus, I assume the same one on your book, but yours has a second author, going to get both.. they are cheap.

Steffan Pahlow shows how he makes his cases from scratch in his youtube channel, and that is helpful.

Thanks Tom, and let me know how that goes and how you approached the repair.. THANKS AGAIN!

tmac1956
          Participant

All:

I’m getting ready to solder the hunter case lid so I thought I’d post my preparations before committing to it. In order to re-solder the hunter case, I needed to make sure that the old joint is cleaned and flush – otherwise, the solder won’t flow.

Continued…

tmac1956
            Participant

continued…

When I get it done, I’ll post the results. Good or bad. ;)

Thanks,
              Tom

stevefitzwater
              Participant

thanks for sharing, I know I am very interested in how this comes out

tmac1956
                Participant

All:

Bad news. Apparently, a repair was attempted on this case in the past. Upon closer examination, I discovered the outermost bezel hinge center tube was inadvertently soldered to the case – or fused if you will. Since solder only flows via capillary action through clean tight joints, one can put wax, buffing compound, oil, etc. onto any adjacent area that solder needs to stay away from. This appears to have been ignored by the last person who tried and re-solder the bezel. So, when the bezel was positioned and re-soldered the solder flowed into the joint between the hinge and the bezel – which was the correct repair – but then it also flowed out between the case and the hinge center tube which fused it to the case making it permanently fixed. This explains why the bezel solder joint broke again.

The only way to fix it is to remove the hinge from the case, replace the center hinge tube, and re-solder the entire assembly back to the case. I don’t know if I’m up for that right now – perhaps in the future.

Later,
                  Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.