Home Forums General Discussion Forum Carriage Clock problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

Ok guys, its been awhile since I have been on here but I ran into an issue with a carriage clock. I’m hoping someone can help me with it.
      I have a J.E. Calowell made in France Carriage Clock and the Escape wheel has a broken pivot. I was hoping someone on here could either direct me to were I can get another one or to someone who could repair the one I have, I have already looked on Ebay and tried Timesavers. Thanks for any help

the Escape wheel is 15 tooth, about 7.1mm or .280 in dia and about 12mm long with the broken pivot missing

below are some pics

drichards
      Participant

Hello Mclark3617
        I don’t think you will have much luck finding a replacement but might get lucky.
        Bob T used to be the go to guy for me for pivoting
        and staff making but that was back in the late 80s and 90s.
        I think he stopped taking in outside work long ago but you might give a shoutout just to see.
        Another person who has a good reputation for doing very good work is Matt Henning at
        https://www.henningwatches.com/
        Nice clock by the way!

Hope this helps,
        Best Dean

mclark3617
        Participant

Thank you Sir, I will give those a try.. and yes it is a nice clock.. and I haven’t even started cleaning it. Thanks again

mclark3617
          Participant

quick question on part identification.. can you tell me the name of the wheel that connects to the escapement pinion? its a unique wheel as it connects at a 180 from the pinion..its the wheel the platform escarpment connects directly too

when I was talking to the fellow thats going to help me with the escape wheel pivot he was asking about “the count of the train”, I assumed he was talking about the tooth count on that wheel. the concern was that I had the right escape wheel. the one I have has 8 leaves on the pinion and he said we could be sure it was the right escape wheel by the count of the train.

Anonymous

Hello MCLark
              I think you’re talking about the contrate wheel.
              Pretty sure.
              Good luck with pivoting job.

Howard

mclark3617
              Participant

Thank you and I know how everyone love pictures so here is a pick of my platform escapement with the broken pivot

mclark3617
                Participant

update…Escapment is with Mark Henning and waiting to hear of the damage..

mclark3617
                  Participant

Does this escape wheel look broke. Or turned down to replace the shaft. And do you think it can still be re pivoted

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.