Home Forums General Discussion Forum Cant Get the Case Open

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

[attachment=0:3e1va2oq]AruthasWatch.JPG[/attachment:3e1va2oq]Hi all,
      I had a small silver pocket watch turn up from ebay today. Lovely little watch but I cant get the rear dust cover open. There is a small brass button in the top of what would have been the crown (this is a key wind watch) and just below this inside the back outer cover is a little tab that moves inside the cover when the brass button is depressed. Someone has tried to force the dust cover open and bent it a little around the edge but it doesnt look so bad that I wont be able to get it back to shape. Sorry about the massive out of focus picture :(
      So, any ideas guys?

Bob Tascione

Hi Paul,
        When you open the front cover is there a hinge under the 12 o’clock and a small lever at the 6 o’clock?
        If so then the movement should swing out the front of the watch.
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

Bob, you are my favourite person in the whole world right now :)
          Ok, on to the next question, the minute hand is missing, there is a square arbor the minute wheel fits on to, should this just be a push fit? The hour hand hole is round and fits as normal on the hour wheel pipe.

Bob Tascione

Hey glad that worked Paul!
            I think you’re asking about the hand right? The minute hand has a square hole and is press fit onto the same square arbor that is used for setting the time. Let me know if you were asking about something different.
            Those are fun watches!
            Enjoy,
            Bob

arutha
            Participant

Sorry for the confusion, I have some sort of mental block when it comes to typing “hand” I keep typing “wheel” ! You are correct Bob, that is exactly what I was asking, thank you, just gotta find some hands now :)

Bob Tascione

No problem Paul!
                I thought that’s where you were heading with your question but wasn’t sure. Hope you’re able to find a minute hand that matches your hour hand or a pair that is the correct style that will fit. If not it’s usually not too difficult to make a new hand depending on the style. It does take some time but is a very rewarding project.
                Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.