Home Forums General Discussion Forum Camera dimensions and hairsrpring timing…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I just calibrated my microscope for measuring small parts. It might not be acurate enough for critical dimensions, but you can get rough measurements very quickly. Each increment on the scale is 0.0625mm (.5mm/8). Here’s the calibrating measurement…

Next, I measured a balance staff as a test…(the dimensioning capabilities of this program are kludgy, but workable)

I would also like to investigate using the video interval feature as a way to check the hairspring timing. I remember being impressed with this guys ideas on the subject.
      <!– l –>viewtopic.php?f=4&t=682&p=3782&hilit=hairspring+timing+camera#p3782<!– l –>

Thanks,
      Tom

Bob Tascione

Hey Tom,
        Interested in what you come up with. One thing though and I may just be confused but… .0625 mm would be pretty small. Something like .0025 in. Looking at that staff lying on the scale I would think something’s a bit off. Can’t read the dimensions on the staff but my guess is that just the dia. of the hub alone should be
        .080 – .1 inch or 2mm or more. You sure that scale isn’t in centimeters or inch?

I might be mis-understanding what you’re saying though.

Bob

tmac1956
        Participant

Bob:

It’s possible that I mis-read the scale. I’ll go back and check it and reply… my vision is really getting bad. I’m having problems at work as well. I just have to slow done and check myself.

Thanks,
          Tom

Bob Tascione

Hey Tom,
            I think it’s just me not understanding how you set it up and measured it. Under the microscope things may measure differently when you scale the divisions to another size during calibration. Your camera shot for your post with the staff sitting on the scale is what is most likely throwing me.
            I’m really interested in the timing part of your post though. If you come up with more info on that or do any experimenting with the idea PLEASE let me know what you come up with.

Thanks,
            Bob

tmac1956
            Participant

Bob:

You were correct (as usual). I saw Chinese script on the scale and assumed metric. The scale was in Imperial inches. I’ll redo it and post again. Since I’m off for a few weeks, I will try to play around with the camera intervals to see if I can make anything out of it.

Thanks!
              Tom

Bob Tascione

Sorry Tom I didn’t realize you had posted this. I think we may have simul-posted. Thanks, that makes sense to me now.
                Looking forward to what you come up with if you dig further on the camera timing.
                Also if I have a day where I’m correct half the time then for me that’s a Very Good Day!

Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.