Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Cable Tie Mainspring Retainer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Just recently I have done a couple of cheap pin pallet mechanisms with open loop ended mainsprings. I was having a bit of trouple getting the spring wound up and then trying to tie wire around them so i could then put the mechanism back together, but then, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a cable tie! Oh boy does one of these make the job that much simpler, so much wider than wire and happier to bend to the shape of the spring, and as you tighten the spring you tighten the cable tie, that way if you do lose your grip the spring wont expand that much, you can just continue where you left off :)

randy
      Participant

That sounds like a great work-around Paul.
        Thanks !

willofiam

Paul, thanks for the great idea, :D just used it and it worked fantastic…William

willofiam

Here is a addition to Pauls idea. ever try to put your works together and the mainspring just causes trouble 😥 putting tension on other arbors and getting in the way of assembly, use BOTH mainspring wire or c-clamp and a ziptie, the ziptie pulls the mainspring into the proper position!!! :D

arutha
            Participant

Neat stuff :) Will try that William :)

barkerclaudia
              Participant

Been using Paul’s idea and it works great…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.