Home Forums General Discussion Forum Bushing Strike Levers, Etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    twoess
    Participant

Hi, Everyone. Do any of you bush Strike Levers, etc. Example like in an American Movement. On Bob’s Video’s I did’nt see that. They seem to be worn somewhat sometimes in them. Or do just the Gears get bushed. Also American Main Wheels, not Barrel type. Do you have to Bush them. Also any other bushings in any other differant Clocks that are’nt the gears. Cuckoo’s, Grandfather, Etc. Never had any problem’s just wondering. Thanks

arutha
      Participant

Hi twoess, it all depends on how bad the wear is and if it is affecting the movement. With great wheels (the wheel the mainspring is attached to) yes I would bush it if it was worn, the usual rule of 5 degrees slant does not apply to barrels as this is a heck of a lot of play for a large pivot. If the hole looks remotely oval or I can see movement in the hole when the wheel is moved side to side I would bush it. With any of the levers I have yet to come across anything that is so bad it has needed bushing but again if the hole looks oval it would not do any harm to bush it, the only time you need to be careful is if the hole is very close to the edge of the plate and there wouldnt be much material left once you hade cut the hole large enough to fit the bush.
        Hope that helps :)
        Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi Twoess,
          I agree with Arutha. Having to bush for lifting levers would be VERY rare. Lever pivot holes often look much too large but they are often made this way from the factory.
          As for bushing (or replacing the existing factory bushing) for American main wheels…yes this is sometimes necessary.

Hope this helps Twoess,
          Bob

twoess
          Participant

Thanks, that helped a whole lot. Also when you have to put in new Main Wheel Bushing (With the Springs) do they press out or do you have to use the Bushing Reamer’s just like all the other gears. It seems like some are peened over. What is the best way to replace these. Thanks

arutha
            Participant

Now that depends on the type of mechanism you are working on. On a standard brass plate movement you would broach it out as you would with other movements. The Gilbert clocks can have steel plates with brass bushes set into them, if you read back through the posts I asked Bob the very same question on bushing Gilbert plates a while back. See Here http://www.clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=303.
              If you have a different type altogether then a picture would help.
              Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi Twoess and Paul,
                You’ll find that most American clocks use these large riveted bushings for the mainspring arbor. You can order them by giving the ID and OD needed. They are called ‘Winding Arbor Bushings’ if you need to search a suppliers catalog. What many people do is just rotate them 180 degrees and they are good to go for another 80 years! You can turn them by grabbing with a clamp on both sides of the plate and then rotate the clamp. You can put a small spacer under the clamp on the inside of the plate to make contact with the bushing.

Hope this helps!
                Bob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.