Broken main spring.

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Broken main spring.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ewinrow
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 26
    • Total Posts: 185

I have never seen a main spring broken-up as much as this one. What say you all? After receiving wall clock, sounded like a tambourine in the box. When I received the package and after a little shake, I felt more like dancing from the rhythm as opposed to looking forward to a repair job. One thing though, a quick fix. Everything within the clock looks very good. I enjoy buying this madness and repairing them. If I should choose to resale, more money in my pocket.

willofiam
    • Topics Started: 75
    • Total Posts: 1437

WOW 😯 , thats crazy, maybe it was sent from where I live 🙄 . the temperature near absolute zero (only because it is impossible reach absolute zero temps) and with some shaking and shivering it gave way, glad to hear everything else looks good. :D Willllliiiaammmmm :|

jim1228
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 6
    • Total Posts: 75

Lol looks like a piece of art, sell it.
    Jim

david pierce
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 90
    • Total Posts: 1360

Definately STEAMPUNK

willofiam

funny how a broken mainspring can get me thinkin 🙄 , how bout dis, while looking at your mainspring I decided to make a shopkeepers doorbell for the shop. The mainspring can either be bent and hardened again to whatever shape, OR leave a full one coiled, mount a clock bell, chime rods, old keys or whatever will jingle. attach to the door and WHALLA 😯 , what do yah think? William

ewinrow
    Participant

Hey will, need spring pieces? I got’em, pay for shipping and you got’em. LOL…… Or on 2nd thought maybe I’ll make a wind chime out of them….. :D

ewinrow
    Participant

:mrgreen: Nawww, not STEAMPUNK David. I have been bitten enough by them to deal with them anymore. Another “DARK KNIGHT” on ebay. 😮 Got to be a better web site out there to surf. Know of any? :?:

chris mabbott
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 119
    • Total Posts: 1525

Ed, that one would be a bugger to solder or rivet back together. Definitely a world record case of overwind overkill 😆

willofiam

Well…..my wife found a bell for me and here is what I came up with, should alert me when someone walks in.

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

Ed I have seen several of those mainsprings that were busted up like that or worse in my 30 yrs. I had one break like yours when winding it in my mainspring winder. That is why I wear a face shield and leather gloves when working with them.

tmac1956
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 171
    • Total Posts: 1259

That is one of the collest things I’ve seen in a while!

Well done…
    Tom

arutha
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 85
    • Total Posts: 1536

Hey William, I think you shade make one for us all and send them out as Christmas gifts :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
ewinrowBroken main spring.