Home Forums General Discussion Forum Broken Lever Staff Pivot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tukat44
    Participant

I have to find a way to fix the broken pivot on Longines 22L lever- the thing is about the size of a grain of rice “Complete” and there is a staff with two pivots going through the center- that is how I broke the pivot in the first place- could not see where it went, also, I think it was upside down because I did not remember how it came out- I think I needed to spend a little more time and not rush to get it done- a lesson in patience. This is what I have been needing to do which is spending quality time with them and taking my time to get to know them intimately so that these kind of mistakes do not keep happening. I did manage to pick up a staking set in my travels, but I think a needle is too big to punch out the broken one even if I did have the equipment and skill to make a new one- I think this is a candidate for a part from a scrap movement that I can cannibalize the whole lever from……..

chris mabbott
      Participant

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of pulling your hair out, but hey, hair is overrated and the money you save on hair products, barber etc, can be put to better use 😆

Sounds like you have a mini problem. I started on pocket watches, because I collect them, so when I was faced with my first 0 sized pendant/wrist conversion, I found it easy because the big ones helped me to get a feel for the miniature versions.

I’m not sure about the model you’re working on but if you could post a close up shot of the lever, we can have a boo.
        I’m sure one of the guys here has worked on this type. I seem to remember Randy possibly worked on some Longine pieces :?:

tukat44
        Participant

This is the best I could get with my phone- the cameras I have will not take pictures of tiny parts. Thank you for welcoming me. I am going to stop breaking my own toys now!! The dime is not for sale. Neither is my broken lever. the tweezers are the only pair I have that will not attract the Staff and are pointing to a staff I have that is for a different (woman’s) movement. I have a K&D Staking set that I do not know how to use. I have read some of your posts and some of your problems, and you know stuff, like about hair. All of you, actually. Grateful for your input. Tukat

After previewing, I cannot see how this could help you understand as the picture shows what appears to be shadows and nothing is clear except that there is a very large dime in the picture, i am going to post it anyways and see what happens

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Joe go online and find you a software that is free and will resize your pictures. I use Irfranview. http://www.irfanview.com/ I resize them down to either 800 X 600 or 640 X 480. I take pictures with my phone then send them to my e-mail. From there I download them to Irfranview sharpen them and resize them. There are several softwares to resize pictures that are free to download.

tukat44
            Participant

Thank you thank you Bernie- cannot get to it tonight but Thanks, and in the next few days I will make sure to get one. Thanks for your help on this, I should have my avatar with this software as well I think. Tukat

gerene
              Participant

You could look for a donor movement, I don’t know if they are hard to find, but you can order the original part new from here: https://www.cousinsuk.com/ part number: LON22L710. But it is not cheap :(.
                It will probably be available in other material houses closer to you as well. I did not search for them.
                A good way to remember how things come out of a movement is taking pictures while you go. In case of a pallet fork, they are mostly (if not always) positioned with the guard pin on the bottom site.

Jan

tukat44
                Participant

WOW!! That was Easy- Jan Thank you- Lon is the brand name, 22L is the movement model and 710 is the standardized part Number, which I could probably break down into the lever, the pallet stone (entry or exit) and the Staff if I wanted to- so this is not lost, just not cheap because these guys have the part I need if I choose to fix it. Harris’ Handbook of Watch and Clock Repair(and many more books that I already have) has a diagram broken down with the parts listed and Cousins pulled it right up. Great parts source, and I appreciate that help

tukat44
                  Participant

Thanks to you and all the guys for the warm welcome- I have an issue, maybe you can help- Posted a picture in this topic. It is much too large for the venue and I can no longer edit my posting. If you could either delete or resize so it is not so crazy, I would appreciate your help on this. I am trying to find a program that works with my older Mac that will give me the tools to resize, but until I find one I can work with I am posting no further pictures. I am sure I will have this figured out in a few days/weeks/months(years, anyone??).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.