Home Forums General Discussion Forum Brake and Clutch Cleaner Hairspring One Dip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

I have just finished servicing a ladies cylinder pocket watch for a customer. When it came to the hairspring it was very gummy and the outer coils were sticking together. Not having any one dip I tried a small amount of brake and clutch cleaner, knowing it is a very good cleaner/degreaser and it evaporates very quickly. It did the job perfectly. Does anyone know any reason why it shouldnt be used? Being that 5 litres of this stuff is around the same price as a very small jar of one dip and it has so many other applications.
      Paul.

david pierce
      Participant

Arutha,
        As long as the chemical does not leave any residue behind it should be ok. I expearmented with part cleaning chemicals a few years ago and now use NAPTHA in an ultrasonic cleaner. For hairsprings I run the entire balance assembly in the ultrasonic cleaner with NAPTHA and then dip it in lacquer thinner to remove any possible residue. ONE DIP is used because it evaporates out without leaving a residue. It works but it is expensive.
        david

arutha
        Participant

Hi David,
          from what I can see there is no residue and it does dry very quickly. I read all the warnings about using naphta, especialy with my watch cleaning machine having a working heater element, I can see me doing something stupid and dont fancy an explosion in my workshop. If it works for you then that is good but I went for the L&R watch cleaning solutions. They work and clean very well but the fast drying rinse doesnt seem to dry that fast!
          Paul.

willofiam

Howdy, I have a note on my desk that says, 111 Trichloroethylene = one dip, now because I am so old and forgetful 🙄 I cant remember where I got this and have not looked into it. Mile high clock supply sells something called “dip away” advertized to be the same as one dip, $17.00 for one pint, Have fun and Paul please dont blow yourself up , but if you do I want your tools. :D William

arutha
            Participant

Thanks William :)
              Trichloroethylene is one of the main components in brake and clutch cleaner. Clear liquid, dries fast and worked very well on the hairspring I tried it on, it was dry in seconds with no heating or blowing! here it is around £15 for 5 litres!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.