Home Forums General Discussion Forum Beware Rare

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

I’ve been noticing lately that a number of sellers on many of the WWW shopping sites have been using the catch words …

RARE or better yet MEGA RARE, and one that I came across was SUPER MEGA RARE 😆
      When in reality, their items are not rare at all, but it amazes me how many “New” buyers are taken in by this wording.
      You can tell that the buyers are fairly new to the world of watches because of the amount of purchase scores they have..

Still, it pays to do your homework and NOT rely on the wording used by the sellers. Buyer beware 8-)

Bob Tascione

Super Mega Rare Online Ultra Watch and Clock Makers Course!
        Hurry, Only 30,000 left.
        Hmmm, I dunno, watta ya think? :)

Bob

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Yea like the Elgin 16 S 7 J extremely rare. Yea right. 😆 😆

Had a kid on the NAWCC site talking about an extremely rare Elgin 7 J he got and wondered how much it was actually worth since it was so rare. 😆 😆 I thought the kid was going to choke when one guy who has been doing watches for about 55 yrs told him it was worth maybe $25 to $45. He paid $175 for it.

arutha
          Participant

I love these people who put “Rare” in the title, don’t they realise we now have the internet so we can check? ;)
            Paul

chris mabbott
            Participant

I don’t think they do realize it Paul, the bait is just right for those that bid..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Rare-Antique-18s-Rail-Road-21J-John-Hancock-Hampden-Pocket-Watch-ca-1897-/171406386590?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item27e89de59e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MEGA-RARE-MOLNIJA-3602-Soviet-Russian-pocket-watch-DOCUMENT-/181485964256?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item2a41680be0

And finally.. this one..
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-rare-WWI-German-Officers-award-Longines-chronograph-watch-order-of-bravery-/220991688335?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item3374218e8f

First, the medal… Yes, it was awarded for military service only for those who actually fought, combatants, as it has the crossed swords, but it was awarded in the 1930’s as a commemorative medal of sorts, due in part to the shortage of iron crosses after the war. They are a very common and fairly inexpensive medal to buy.

He states that this watch was professionally cleaned and serviced by a watchmaker? I would be ashamed to admit that I had worked on the watch. It looks dirty, the jewels look uncleaned, the screw heads are scratched and dull, and the slots deformed.. Enlarge the photo to see closer..

david pierce
              Participant

A rare Russian watch makes me think of Exotic Russian Vodka. It is actually ethanol made in an ADM chemical factory in Valdosta Georgia. It is shipped to Russia in bulk, rebottled and then shipped back to the USA as an expensive imported quality alcoholic beverage. When I was driving chemical trucks I used to haul 8500 gallons at a time to be exported.
                david

arutha
                Participant

We have a problem in this country with fake vodka, cheap vodka is being mixed with antifreeze and all sorts of bad chemicals and labeled as good quality vodka with all the proper marks on the label. People are getting seriously ill from drinking this stuff.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25455992

Sorry Chris, we seemed to have moved from “Rare” to “Vodka” :(

chris mabbott
                  Participant

@Arutha wrote:

Sorry Chris, we seemed to have moved from “Rare” to “Vodka” :(

No problem bro, David’s research studies are always food for thought, so why not drink for thought… Besides, it sounds like he’s put a lot of time and effort into the vodka theory 😆

david pierce
                    Participant

Actually I switched to moonshine a few months ago. 💡

arutha
                      Participant

I cant drink alcohol, I fall over if I do or start giggling like a girl. I drink tea, far too much tea and the great thing about drinking tea is it don’t give me a hangover :)
                        Paul.

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

I use 180 proof moonshine in my alcohol lamps. Burns good and if I am a little grumpy at a clock I might have a sip or two just to calm me down. 😆 😆

chris mabbott
                          Participant

@Arutha wrote:

I cant drink alcohol, I fall over if I do or start giggling like a girl.
                            Paul.

😆 😆 Paul buddy, the same happened to me, I think this is how it works. The part about giggling like a girl, never had that though 😆

Here we go again down that darkened alley somewhere on the corner of 5th and 142nd :D

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.