Home Forums General Discussion Forum Bent pivot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rgmt79
    Participant

Advice please on what to do with this bent pivot. I’m not sure if its hardened, but maybe I should anneal before attempting to straighten it? Also the shoulder appears to have been distorted, not sure what to do about that? Maybe it will also straighten out when trying to bend the pinion back into line?

willofiam

OUCH!!! My thought on this is for it to bend and smush like that it is not very hard. Looks like heat was applied to the arbor already, and when I look at the first picture it almost looks like a shoulder and pivot is a separate piece, though that could be from a lack of coffee 😯
        I guess I would plan on re-pivoting it just in case it does break when trying to straighten it out. It looks like it may be possible to work the arbor shoulder back into shape and that may help the pivot a bit….maybe….

rgmt79
        Participant

Hi William, yes it does look like a separate piece, maybe the pivot was replaced before. I have already received advice on the NAWCC forum suggesting that I should remove the pivot and shoulder almost back to the wheel and then dill a hole into the arbor and fit a new pivot per sketch attached. The general consensus is that it would be risky to try and straighten the end of the arbor without causing further damage and from what you have said, I think you would agree with that?
          Thanks for your input.

Richard

willofiam

@rgmt79 wrote:

maybe the pivot was replaced before

yes, that was my thought, a previous repair and the colored steel possibly from soldering. Going back to the wheel would probably give it a bit more strength and also be a less visible repair.

rgmt79
            Participant

I think the colouring is from localised hardening of the pinion, I don’t understand why they did not harden the pivot at the same time…maybe could have prevented this damage if they had…

Thanks again for your input Willliam

Richard

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.