Home Forums General Discussion Forum bent centre abor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    clockman1509
    Participant

Good evening all, its been a while since I posted on the forum. I am looking for some advise on how to true a centre arbor.
      when I re assembled a movement that was given to me for practice it came totally stripped down. It is a Smiths striking movement.
      on re assembling after a good clean and polishing of the pivots, There were 5 bushes to be replaced.which I have done.
      on assembling the centre wheel and putting between the plates it shows that the centre arbor is out of true at the hand attachment end.
      I have a Boley 8mm lathe. but am unsure if I could true the arbor in the lathe. I am have been looking on Bobs videos but can’t find an answer.
      Your help would be much appreciated.
      thanks in advance
      Alan

willofiam

Hey Alan, if you have a tailstock with a center try chucking up the “straight” end into the headstock as far as it is straight or somewhere along the line to have one end chucked in the lathe true. run the tailstock center up to give a reference as to where the center of the arbor should be, by hand rotate the lathe and it should show you which direction to bend to center. using a light touch, continuing to hand turn the lathe and lightly bending towards center should slowly get you back to straight. If you cannot put the arbor in the lathe or do not have a center tailstock you can use a flat surface or 2 parallel flat surfaces and by rolling your arbor on it look for “humps” or any unevenness and bend accordingly, you can get it pretty close. word of caution is do not bend unless your sure and bend carefully so as not to break. have fun, William

clockman1509
        Participant

Thanks William it worked great. Excellent tip.
          Thanks again
          Alan

catskillpainter
          Participant

I have a minute arbor from an Atmos clock that needs a little tweak. I am very afraid.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.