Bent arbor

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Bent arbor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 90
    • Total Posts: 175

Good morning, anyone have any tricks on how to straighten these bent arbors? Ive tried everything and nothings working.

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

I use my lathe with a center point. I also use this and spin the arbor to find the high point. http://timesavers.com/i-8948851-plate-spreader.html I will straighten it with this a lot of times and then put it in the lathe to double check.

chaplin37
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 90
    • Total Posts: 175

Hi bernie, thanks for the info can you explain how the plate spreader is used to straighten an arbor?

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

If you will look at the picture as it sits the top jaws have a V cut in them. You put a small flat metal in the bottom jaws held in place with the screws so it will sit flat on the bench. Open the jaws up enough that you can lay the pivots in the V. Give it a spin and you will be able to see the high and low of the arbor. I generally use this for the initial straightening but double check with my lathe. Chuck up the pivot in the lathe headstock and put a center point in the tailstock. Spin the wheel by hand to check if it is dead on.

It is easy to use and self explanatory. I use the plate spreader especially when setting up the strike sequence on antique clocks to get all the pins correctly set. Makes it so much easier to do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
chaplin37Bent arbor