Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Benchtop idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Well, I decided to make some new benches in the shop. I did not want to spend very much so over the last month I came up with some pretty good ideas. Wanting something very sturdy yet cheap was the goal. I found someone nearby selling solid core wood doors. Pleasantly surprised at the size and condition I bought 10 from him (he had over 200 at one time and he was ready to sell what he had left). They are 125pounds each, will be very stable having the particle board core and a maple veneer surface (good light color)…they are 36″ x 106″ x 1-3/4″ thick. I will drill out the handle holes for electrical grommets and cover the hinge plate cutouts with some solid wood. They cost me $25.00 each

willofiam

Now I had to figure out what to use for legs, I was ready to buy 4x4s for what I was planning to do they would have cost me $200 plus. It came to me one early mourning that I should drive by a commercial building site and see if the had any dunnage (not sure if thats a word but thats what we call it up here)…… that I could buy from them possibly cheaper than buying the new 4×4’s. WHALLA, 😯 there was a large pile that the foreman said he had been waiting for someone to grab so he didnt have to pay for them to be hauled away. So I found bench-top legs for free and not only that but they solid soft maple, oak, and ash.

Of course they were full of mud and such, nothing a power washer couldnt rectify. If you dont have a power washer the local car-wash would work, or a wire brush and garden hose.

Nice and clean drying in the sun… ;)

willofiam

Time to put it all together. I reused some 2×4’s I had from another project. Total cost of material for each 3 x 9 bench (besides time) $25.00 :D

first I put cleats on the wall. 2×4’s screwed to the studs

next, using the level off the top of the cleat I marked the leg and cut to length. The reason for doing it this way is because my cement floor is a bit uneven so marking them each in the spot they were going saves time in leveling the whole bench. My idea was to have 2/3rds of the top mounted over the legs and cleat giving me 1 foot of over hang, doing it this way allows me to run continuous drawers along the front at the same time being very stable. This wall is the watchmakers area (now I just need a watchmaker 🙄 ) that will accommodate 2 of my watchmakers benches

Bob Tascione

Great thread William!
            Once again you seem to find the best deals on tools, machines and supplies out there and then turn them into amazing things!
            That’s going to be a beautiful bench. Looking forward to more pics as you go.

Thanks!
            Bob

willofiam

Hey Bob, thank you :D I think the point I would like to get across is if your patient and a bit creative you can come up with some pretty nice stuff for a decent price.

O.K. here is a idea. If you have a existing hole in a counter top and you want to make is bigger the best way I have found for doing this is to cut a hole in a separate board.

then by clamping that board to your top you can easily drill out the new size hole in the same spot and the drill bit will not wander on you.

WHALLA

willofiam

Her we have one wall of benches almost complete, besides the right end top, drawers and trim on the front edge…..almost done with this section. I wanted to keep the height at this level for easier use of other items and keeping all the benches at the same level. I am still debating on what type of storage and shelving I will put along the wall.

arutha
                Participant

I am speechless mate, the big guy upstairs certainly gave you an extra helping of brains. So when can you come and do mine ;)
                  Very nice job William and I love the way you have built the worktops around your bench and mine :)
                  Paul.

willofiam

Hey Paul thank you…but its not me thats smart, I am just starting to learn to listen to my wife 😆

When I put these watchmakers benches in I had a vision as I looked at them…..I saw someone working at the brown colored bench, all I saw was his back and now that you mention it his head was shaped just like yours :D I think it WAS you!!!!! Tomorrow I will start to terrorize the neighbors so they move out…..then you and your family can move in and we can be partners ;)

jim1228
                    Participant

Holy smoke William,
                      That looks great!
                      Jim

Bob Tascione

I love the inset watch benches William! Clever idea!
                        Bob

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Very nicely done William. Looks like a well thought out bench arrangement.

willofiam

Thanks guys :D :D :D I just wanted to give the idea on a few things here. what you see is 1/4 of the whole set up. Today I just sprayed the trim and drawer fronts and will be applying them shortly. I will be posting the new arrangement in my shop section in a few days. Thanks again for the nice comments. William

Bob Tascione

Hey William,
                              Hope you figured another way out of that place cuz that door at the end of the bench may not work too well now :D .
                              Looking forward to see more pics.

Adios,
                              Bob

willofiam

No prob Bob, I purposely blocked that door, you know…..to keep the riff raff out….David, Chris, Paul, Jim, and the likes :D 😆

willofiam

OH, I forgot Tom, Randy and and and and………………….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.