Home Forums Member Shop Pics. Bench in progress “[email protected]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

Hi All
      In my day job I am a department head in a plant the makes cabinet grade plywood. One of our departments makes what is called “you build” cabinets. Where customer can look through an online catalogue and pick out a cabinet or furniture of some sort and ask for it to be built. They will then receive a kit with needed components. Anyway I asked the head of that department if he could make me one of those small benches that sits on top of another table or desk. As I was leaving today I saw how he was progressing with my project. Dark part of top is a piece of felt. Not sure if that was a good idea or not but can always put a mat over it. Anyway I thought I would post picture of how it is coming along. There will be a set of drawers on other side as well.
      Charles

Click Image to View Full Image

arutha
      Participant

That looks like a nice piece of kit, the only down side with the felt I can think of is the fibres getting into your watch and it might be a bit tricky to clean if you spill anything on it. I think most clock guys like to use plate glass with the bottom of the glass painted a very light colour although I cant see why you couldnt just use a piece of melamine coated chipboard. Still, its all heading in the right direction :)

Bob Tascione

Hi Charles,
          I didn’t realize you had posted this up here.
          That bench with the mini bench on top will be perfect. I have one of those mini watchmaker benches on my boat and use it a good deal of time. They take a few minutes to get used to if you’ve been using a large watchmakers bench but then it actually begins to feel natural. They are great! You can keep all the large tools on the main desk and just put the smaller stuff on the mini. If you do plan on using the mini on top then that felt may end up being helpful as tiny parts that jump off your mini bench won’t bounce and go into hiding when they hit the felt surface. In fact you’ve given me a great idea for my own mini bench setup. I think I’ll put a thin piece of ply with some felt under my mini on the boat!
          Thanks Charles!
          If you have time please post a pic when you have it set up.

Bob

c.kelly
          Participant

Just checked on progress of bench again today. He has other three drawers built and there is going to be another drawer in the center. Just so you all know I have gotten used to to working on things using a small tray so that parts don’t actually touch the bench. My idea with the felt was I hope it will slow down anything I drop. He tells me it will be ready sometime this week and I can’t wait to try it out.

Charles

willofiam

Hey Charles, lookin good, looks like cherry wood and laminate. Interesting idea with a small bench on top of another, I’ll have to think on that, i do like the idea of using that and having felt or some kind of softer material on the lower bench to help stop flying parts ect….. Have fun, cant wait to see your shop set up when you are done. :D William

c.kelly
              Participant

Hi,
                You are right about the wood being cherry. Most wood we use at work is either oak or birch so I get tired of seeing that all the time. I think I plan on an eventual two tier work surface. My back isn’t as good as it used to be and also when I bend over to work on a small part my head tends to block the light a bit. You all should have seen the device I rigged up to attach a clamp to hold a balance cock while I was reattaching a hairspring. Consisted of a clamp, some rodico to hold clamp and one of my wifes tall cookie jars. Once I got things up to eye level everything went smooth. Should have taken a picture.
                Charles

c.kelly
                Participant

Hi,
                  I wad asked about this yesterday and realized I never posted the finished version. Excuse the clutter as I store most everything on it when not in use.
                  Charles K

willofiam

Nice! drawers fill up fast dont they? I too have been thinking of something similar, thanks for the ideas. William

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.