Home Forums General Discussion Forum Basic cleaning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    geppetto
    Participant

Greetings to all!

I am a newbie and learning alot from the great videos Bob has offered to us. I just hope that I will one day be equipped with enough knowledge to pass on to someone younger one day. I am 38 and have alot to learn so here we go. While doing some research I noticed some clockmakers offering basic cleaning and oiling at a lower price. But then in the overhaul at a higher price, include full disassembly of the movement, mainsprings, and then an ultrasonic cleaning.

Now as a beginner I want to learn good habits and it seems to me if the clock is not working to begin with, one would need to break it all the way down, identify the problem, and give everything a thorough cleaning with the ultrasonic. So my question today is what actually is “basic cleaning?”

Thanks,
      Geppetto

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Geppetto!
        That’s a real good question to ask. I feel that you are absolutely correct when you say “it seems to me if the clock is not working to begin with, one would need to break it all the way down, identify the problem, and give everything a thorough cleaning with the ultrasonic”. A basic cleaning to me would be a thorough cleaning and no cutting corners. This can be done without an ultrasonic cleaner as it was for hundreds of years before these cleaners appeared, but greater care should be given to make sure all dirt has been removed.
        Enjoy and again Welcome to the forum Geppetto,
        Bob

geppetto
        Participant

Thanks Bob :D I’m learning alot!
          Geppetto

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.