Home Forums General Discussion Forum Basic cleaning solution

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mclark3617
    Participant

Ok, i know about all the ultrasonic cleaning, but for those of us that have Already spent all our money on shiny metal tools, can anyone recomend a cheap solution to start with. I was thinking Naptha and a little paint brush and rinsing it with rubbing alcohol. Can anyone see any problems with that or recomend a better cleaner?

bernie weishapl
      Participant

For many years when I first started I used dawn dishwashing soap, murphy’s soap, household ammonia and water mix. I would scrub everything with a brush and peg the holes out. I rinsed twice in water and then rinsed with denatured alcohol. Built a box and used a hairdryer to dry. I did this for about 10 yrs when I first started and never had a problem.

mclark3617
        Participant

How did you mix everything,,,the ratios

stevefox
          Participant

I have a friend who is a retired optometrist. He sent me the formula he has used for years.
            He got it from someone else who worked where he did.

40oz distilled water
            8oz alcohol
            4oz non-sudsing ammonia
            1oz Dawn liquid detergent

He said it works so well, he never had a reason to look for something else.
            I haven’t used it on clock parts yet, but it has worked on everything I have tried, so far.

Steve Fox

tmac1956
            Participant

Guys:

For watches I use the seven jar method described in the Chicago School fo Watchmaking, lesson #10. I clean everything that way with the exception of the dial, the mainspring (which I replace), the hairspring (I use One Dip), and shellaced-in jewels or glued-in crystals (I run them through everything but the alcohol).

I found the green soap here:
              http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8K9B0/ref … CJ1ZI5XMG6

I use Naptha for the degreaser in jar #1. You can probably get by with fewer if you want.

Later,
              Tom

arutha
              Participant

What type of alcohol did you use, I know you are not supposed to use rubbing alcohol for some reason but I cant remember why?
                Paul.

stevefox
                Participant

Paul,

If you are asking me, I use denatured alcohol from Home Depot or Lowe’s.
                  Rubbing alcohol has a lot of water in it, unless you are careful what you buy. I don’t know if that’s why you wouldn’t use it, though.

There are different types of alcohol, methanol(wood alcohol), ethanol(drinking alcohol), isopropyl(rubbing alcohol) to name a few.
                  I can’t tell you which would be the best.

Steve Fox

arutha
                  Participant

“Rubbing alcohol, USP / Surgical spirit, B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70 percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)” – from wikipedia.
                    I am pretty sure it is isopropyl that is used in its pure form in clock cleaning solutions as it works as a good degreaser. Rubbing alcohol has other additives which can leave a film on the movement after cleaning. I bought some pure isopropyl to use in a test solution but never got around to it.
                    Paul.

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

I mix mine up in a 2 1/2 gallon batch. I use 1/2 cup of Dawn, 1/2 cup of Murphys, 2/3 cup ammonia, and then add your 2 1/2 gallons of water.

stevefox
                      Participant

That could be, but I’ve seen rubbing alcohol from 60% to 95% isopropyl alcohol.
                        The only ingredients I’ve seen listed on the bottle are isopropyl alcohol and water.

Also according to Wikipedia, isopropyl alcohol is C3H8O or C3H7OH (3 ,7 and 8 are sub) and ethanol is c2h20 (2 both subs).
                        I would think that the more hydrogen, the better cleaning, but I’m no chemist.

arutha
                        Participant

I am no chemist either thats for sure! If it is only acting as a degreaser then the soft soap I am using in my mix and the dish soap in Bernies mix is doing the same thing but maybe not as effectively? I sometimes wonder if it is better just to pay the extra and not worry about it anymore.
                          Paul.

wcloake3
                          Participant

Harbor freight has an ultrasonic cleaner for $82.99. This weekend they have an online coupon for 20% off if you spend $100.00. The reviews on their site are mostly from gun reloaders whe clean their brass. They mostly rate it high. A good friend owns one and he cleans greasy car parts. He loves it. I am buying one this weekend with some of their cleaner to test it. I have a couple old movements I picked up to try things out.

Will

david pierce
                            Participant

Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol mixed with small amounts of methal alcohol and formaldehyde to intentionally make it poisonous.
                              david

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.