Home Forums General Discussion Forum Balance Wheel Straightening

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Here we go again. 🙄

chris mabbott
      Participant

two

chris mabbott
        Participant

thhhhreee

chris mabbott
          Participant

four

tukat44
            Participant

Chris, WOW. Just the kind of thing I need to see in action so I understand how useful and easy to use my staking set really is. Paid very short money for a pretty good set not too long ago because it looked like it was well cared for except for a single broken punch and came with 18 different anvils and 86 different punches, apparently always kept in tip top shape as there is not a speck of rust on the entire set. very encouraging how you explain we do not need a heavy hand or to pound away at the thing to make it right, just coax it into being right and take our time doing it, being observant and thoughtful going forward. I learn something from every single post, and appreciate you sharing your experience in this forum. Tukat

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Great post Chris. I have one that I am going to have to work on. I will see if I can do as well. 😆 Thanks.

chris mabbott
                Participant

Bernie my brother, I have no doubt that you will outdo my effort, you are a very detailed person, so a small pay back for what I have learned from your posts, well, you know I’m building myself up for my two pending clocks GULP :?

Thanks Joe, happy to be of service. As I think was mentioned to your bro, the staking set is THEE most used and abused tool in our repertoire, it has saved my bacon so many times and it’s good for many jobs, even jeweling.
                  If you have a lathe, or if you know a machine shop person, you can have them make you up some specialized stakes, or replace your broken ones. I had a guy here make me up a set of 5, I think he charged me $20.. I’m going to get some brass ones made up for jobs like this balance wheel, so I don’t mar the surface..

Seeing as all staking sets are basically the same, you might find this STAKING GUIDE useful

tmac1956
                  Participant

All:

LuLu.com has this in hard or soft cover. Mine came with my staking set and it has been a life saver many times. As with anything “LuLu” it carries a hefty price.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=the+watchmakers+staking+tool&type=

Later,
                    Tom

tukat44
                    Participant

Chris and Tom, Really Great, and thanks to both of you. Chris, when you posted the link I went there and downloaded it immediately then wasted most of last night reading through it all. It gave me a lot of good insight and now I know if I need a one I do not have, I can now order it, so thanks again. Tom, as you said, Premium prices for ordinary books, I think I will be able to find one on like, eBay or half,com, so thanks to you as well, and I will let you know when my copy arrives.Tukat

bernie weishapl
                      Participant

Thanks Chris but after seeing a lot of your post on watches, machinery, etc I suspect your attention to detail is as good if not better than mine. I got a copy of that same pdf you post which was saved and printed. Now about the clocks. All I can say is getter done!! 😆

chris mabbott
                        Participant

@Bernie Weishapl wrote:

All I can say is getter done!! 😆

Bernie, have you ever considered taking a short break in Spain, ya know, not long, possibly a month or two, Hey, that would be enough time to help me out Buudddy :D

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

If it gets any colder here the wife may say lets go. You will just have to put up with the two boys (dachshund). 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.