Home Forums General Discussion Forum Balance Wheel bent… fix?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

Okay, I just got my 1926 Waltham Model 1898 6s Sapphire movement, and the balance is bent… did not see that in the pics, but anyway… is there a process for fixing this, or should I find a parts movement? It is just slightly off and there is a visible flat spot where it hit something.. if I get a chance, I will post a pic.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Steve I use a truing calipers when I run across one that is bent. I am assuming you are talking the balance wheel with the hairspring. If so check this out. http://watchmakingblog.com/2008/05/29/how-does-this-happen/

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Yeah one of the sides is lower, it looks like it hit something.. Doing some parts research, going to check the Walthams Material Books and see if the same balance is used on other models, if not I might try straightening it out..

stevefitzwater
          Participant

found a identical one, but I am still going to straighten it out, good practice…

bernie weishapl
            Participant

It is good to practice and see if you can straighten it. I did the same thing when I started some 30 yrs ago. I found a complete balance then proceeded to fix the old one. It worked. I still had my parts watch and fixed the original. :D

randy
              Participant

Steve.
                Also check to see if any of the jewel settings that reside under the balance are fully seated into the plate.
                I’ve seen/had issues with that in the past, and in only certain positions, the balance will rub on them…even if the balance is perfectly flat. Sometimes when a watch gets dropped or bumped hard,..the chaton will ride up a bit from the impact, and the screws holding it in place will also loosen/ ride up.

Best

Randy

stevefitzwater
                Participant

Thanks Randy!

amazingly, the pivots and jewels are fine, I was amazed that it took that kind of hit and they did not break, could be the guy bought it as a parts movement and stuck his bent balance on it and resold it…

I have had some bad luck lately picking up movements, this one and a Waltham Model 1882 1s, from the pic there was a small amount of rust on one edge, but the dial looked great, so I grabbed it, I took the dial off and the dial side of the movement was green and rusted. I have gotten everything except one balance jewel screw out, cleaned and re polished, if I can not get that out, guess it will be added to the growing list of parts movements I have.

arutha
                  Participant

Hi Steve,
                    pure lemon juice will dissolve steel and not touch the brass so a long soak might solve that problem?
                    Paul.

stevefitzwater
                    Participant

hmm thanks Paul! but that’s kind of a bitter way to go at it? 🙄

sorry, since Chris is MIA, someone has to keep up the extra dry humor quota :D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.