Home Forums General Discussion Forum Balance staff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

my pocket watches balance stops moving when I place it on its crystal but, when I turn it around it starts running again, but not as fast as I think it should because eventually over a couple of days it loses a good amount of time. I looked at the balance staff and it doesnt appear to be broken

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin37,
        If the watch is clean and oiled and the balance staff pivots look good then you might check to see if the lower cap jewel is cracked or loose. This can cause problems in the dial down position but won’t be a problem in dial up. There are many conditions that can cause problems in your dial up position such as cracked jewels, dirt etc… the list is a long one and we would need to know more about the watches performance and condition. At this point though I would check to make sure it’s perfectly clean, oiled and that jewels and pivots look good and that the balance and pallet have enough but not too much end shake.
        Please let us know.
        Bob

jim1228
        Participant

Hi Chaplin37,
          I know it’s late in the month to post a reply for this question but, I have come across this same situation several times. Bob is right about making sure everything is very clean, especially the hairspring. If there is any residue left on it it’s going to do just the kinds of weird things your describing. I’m not saying this is the answer but I feel the hairspring is sometimes overlooked. Check it out with a good strong eye loupe. Hope this helps.

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.