Home Forums General Discussion Forum Awesome cleaner degreaser test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    willofiam

Just want to post the preliminary results of using “awesome” cleaner degreaser. I had heard of others using this product so I thought I would give it a shot. Using a couple of parts clocks I first tried a hermle movement, seemed to clean it well with no side effects. I then put in a old American movement (possibly 100+ years old) here are some photos of what happened. Some kind of reaction to the brass parts (could it be the composition of the brass metals being different, or could it be the lacquer protecting the Hermle movement?), the steel cleaned up o.k. Cant say for sure what happened and why the older movement results came out like this, just thought I would share. Have a good day, William

arutha
      Participant

How long was it in the tank for William and was it full strength?
        Paul.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

I have never had that happen on any older clock movements except one. It looked similar to what you have. I recleaned it with some ammonia cleaner and it came out fine. Just don’t like to use it. Wondering if it was a reaction to chemicals already on the movement?

willofiam

Hey Paul, it was in the tank for approx. 15 minutes, the mix was 4 to one, water to cleaner, tank was warm. Bernie, not sure about what was previously on the movement or not (old oil, dirt and grime?). put it in the timekeepers solution right now,,,, let me check it….o.k. your right Bernie, the ammoniated solution has taken the blue, purple colors off, definitely a surface reaction on the brass….I dont see that I would be any further ahead using the degreaser stuff at this point. @Bernie Weishapl wrote:

Just don’t like to use it

what are you referring to Bernie?

chris mabbott
            Participant

William,

Never use anything that has a name of, or referral to the word “Awesome” that also includes people who actually still use this word. This also includes its variations of… Totally awesome, mega awesome and ultimately… Sooo awesome 😆

david pierce
              Participant

Chris,
                Your previous comment was positively, absolutely, definately AWESOME! 🙄

chris mabbott
                Participant

😆 I thought so too but I would never say it out loud ;)

I forgot to add that the effect on the brass reminded me of those anti drug movies they used to show us in high school.. You know the kind, guy smokes a joint and starts seeing pretty colors and rainbows, touching the oven flame etc 😆

I wonder how they’re making out in Colorado, hospitals must be full 😆

willofiam

you forgot “super duper awesome”

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

William I was referring to the ammonia cleaner. Plays heck with lacquer and is not good on brass.

willofiam

Hey Bernie, thats the exact reason for me looking for a initial or ultimate replacement cleaning solution,…. lacquer…., as you may well know, most everything on a Hermle movement has a thin coat of lacquer, to clean a used and abused dirty movement in a ammoiniated solution long enough to get it clean you will start to remove the coating of lacquer, or clean it only so long and spend alot of time pickin the dirt out by hand and running it through the ultrasonic again. I heard someone refer to this stuff called awesome, to me…not so….I think I heard you use simple green. Probably going to use something to soak the parts in before running thru the ultrasonic tank.

Now, without getting into a debate on ammonia based cleaning solutions and its effect on brass, I have heard both sides of the story, I think the key is to rinse thoroughly after cleaning, true with any kind of solution, as it will neutralize the effects of any type of chemicals the solution has.

Here is a interesting link; http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/112782

William

david pierce
                        Participant

There is an ultrasonic clock cleaning concentrate (mixes 8:1) available from TIMESAVERS INC. 1-800-552-1520, item# 17864, that you may want to try out. I have never used it and know nothing about it but it has received some favorable reviews. If anybody here knows anything about it how about posting a review.
                          david

willofiam

@david pierce wrote:

an ultrasonic clock cleaning concentrate (mixes 8:1) available from TIMESAVERS INC. 1-800-552-1520, item# 17864

Thats what I currently use, it is ammoniated and it does remove lacquer, I do like it for the convenience and it does a nice job, basically I am looking for a pre-cleaning solution to dissolve the caked on dirt and grime quickly without removing lacquer and now…. experimenting with that awesome stuff….not causing a surface reaction to the brass and discoloring or possibly causing a long term issues. posting this was a warning to those who may be thinking about using “awesome” cleaner degreaser….William

arutha
                            Participant

Have you considered giving the customer 3 quotes for these movements?
                              1. polish off all old lacquer and leave bare
                              2. clean by hand leaving original lacquer in place
                              3. polish and re-lacquer
                              If you were to offer these options at least you would get paid for the relevant time spent?
                              Just a thought.
                              Paul.

chris mabbott
                              Participant

@willofiam wrote:

basically I am looking for a pre-cleaning solution to dissolve the caked on dirt and grime quickly without removing lacquer

There is that ” natural degreaser” I used on my mill, worked great and just removes gunk and grease, nothing else. Could you just presoak the parts in a degreaser like this, in a small tub, prior to ultrasonic cleaning?

willofiam

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

Could you just presoak the parts in a degreaser like this, in a small tub, prior to ultrasonic cleaning?

Yes Chris, I would lean towards a water base degreaser so I could rinse them afterwards and then put in the tank and not foul the solution in the tank. William

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.