Home Forums General Discussion Forum Automatic Winder for 30hr Longcase

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    anguswallace
    Participant

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a 30hr longcase clock. They are good value but I’m sure I will forget from time to time to wind it, and that will annoy me.

Has anyone experience with automatic winders for longcase clocks? Or seen any plans to build one?

John Wilding has a book “Automatic Winding for a 30 Hour Longcase Clock” which I think is construction instructions? Though I think it was released in the 1970s so not sure how up to date it would be.

All the best,
      Angus

arutha
      Participant

Hi Angus,
        because 30 hour longcase clocks are looked upon as antiques there are not many people who would want to fit something modern like an auto winding mechanism which is why you might be struggling to find information. It would be like fitting electric windows to your Morris Minor! It would certainly de-value the clock. Even so, if you are determined to go down this route it would be worthwhile tracking down a copy of John Wildings book. here is a link to a book he sells with that article in it – http://www.clockmaking-brass.co.uk/horological_miscellanies.htm
        The mechanical aspect of it would not be out of date, just an up to date power supply and motor would be used.
        Hermel produced some sort of auto winding mechanism for their longcase clocks but it is something I have not yet seen neither can I find any information on it..

Paul.

anguswallace
        Participant

Paul,

I had a feeling that the autowinder some how magically didn’t attach to the case or movement so causing no damage. I know that sounds pie in the sky!

Thanks for that link, I hadn’t realised the HOROLOGICAL MISCELLANIES had information on an autowinder, I’ll pick that up. I quite like the John Wilding books.

If I ever get round to building one I’ll post the results.

All the best,
          Angus

tictock
          Participant

I totally agree with the analogy of devaluation of the clock. I have been called out to a service call once on an antique tall case clock. When I opened the door and didn’t see any weights or pendulum I thought Oh No!. . . I slid the bonnet off the case and sure enough someone destroyed a piece of history – someone installed a quartz movement in it. I asked the customer if they had the original movement and parts and they said no the guy that fixed the clock didn’t give it to them, but we were tired of winding it all the time they said.

I turned down the job and told them they would have been better off just leaving the clock sit as a piece of furniture and buy a $20 quartz clock to hang on the wall.

I have one 30 tall case and it’s like getting up every day and turning on the coffee maker, you just need to form a habit and on that rare occasion that you forget. It’s no big deal. . .

stevefitzwater
            Participant

I agree, a 30 hr clock is not an issue, just like an 8 day clock, it is making it part of your habit… everyday when I come downstairs, it is the second thing I do, after putting the dogs out. Some days I forget, but all I have to do it wind it, re set the time and I still have a clock from the 1880s on the mantle..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.