Home Forums General Discussion Forum ATTN: Tom aka tmac

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

Would there be any benefit derived from the backward/forward movement of the pull string or bow versus the all one direction provided my a motor? Since we are holding the burnishing tools by hand then there will be inconsistencies (I speak only for myself here). My thinking is – sort of like when Bob demonstrates re-staffing a balance wheel – that we rotate the wheel to distribute the error from the manual punching process. It’s probably such a small issue that it doesn’t matter anyway. :)

Just a thought…
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        Only if you were getting paid by the hour instead of per part. The bow would allow you to deliver 1/2 the number of parts in the same amount of time.
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

Tom,

I’ve heard both sides debated with no real, firm outcome. I mean, the rollimat machine, I think that’s what it’s called, goes in one direction for grinding and burnishing if used for that purpose.
          Personally, the finish I end up with unidirectionally, which is like a little cylindrical mirror, is satisfactory for me. Now if you put it under an electron microscope, I’m sure you’ll see all kinds of inconsistencies, possibly even alien lifeforms, but that would be in everything.. ;)

I feel that whatever microscopic non-benefit one might derive from either method would be so insignificantly minute that it wouldn’t make much difference to a 100 yr old watch. As long as there are no rough spots and the end of the pivot is finished correctly, you should be in bitniss..

Bob Tascione

No advantage either way that I can think of. Again a matter of preference. I just appreciate the feeling of control that I have using the bow over a motor. Speed can be changed instantly (no need for reduction pulley) and any resistance can be felt immediately by resting my little finger on the bow hair while powering, eliminating any need for a clutching mechanism. I have two lathes with complete pivot polishing attachments. I still use my Jacot tool a good 80% of the time over the lathe. Takes a few seconds to take it out of the case and put it in the vise and a few seconds to put it back into the drawer out of the way.

Bob

chris mabbott
            Participant

Bob just a quick question… When you use the bow with a back and forth motion, are you using a simultaneous to & fro motion with the burnisher also ?

Chris

Bob Tascione

Hi Chris,
                I normally want to lay the metal over in one direction only so usually set up for forward on the burnisher while drawing backward on the bow. Then draw back burnisher with no downward pressure while advancing the bow for the next cycle. Pressure can be applied in both directions if breaking down metal surface structure is desired. Well so I’ve heard but don’t know any advantage for doing this!

Bob

chris mabbott
                Participant

Thanks Bob, I was curious if there was any benefit because I’ve seen some users on the tube doing all kinds of maneuvers that really defy my coordination, I ended up like a fish in a net 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.