Home Forums General Discussion Forum assist with marks of lubrication

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnno
    Participant

Hi all. Very basic noob question, but I have to ask. What is the difference between the various lubrication symbols here? why are some shaded black while others don’t and why does the last symbol have two open circles? Thanks for the help and patience.

stevefitzwater
      Participant

I would guess, based on the information you have provided, this is simply a legend for where and what lubrication to use based on a specific watch manufacturers specifications.

Also, remember if your using older documents, a better solution is synthetic oils, they last longer and have less residual build ups creating problems after service. Not sure if there is a cross reference out there of older lubes and the newer synthetic counterparts, if not one would be of great use for a majority of us apprentice.

johnno
        Participant

@SteveFitzwater wrote:

I would guess, based on the information you have provided, this is simply a legend for where and what lubrication to use based on a specific watch manufacturers specifications.

Also, remember if your using older documents, a better solution is synthetic oils, they last longer and have less residual build ups creating problems after service. Not sure if there is a cross reference out there of older lubes and the newer synthetic counterparts, if not one would be of great use for a majority of us apprentice.

Yes, this is the decision have also arrived at. Thank you greatly for your input.

randy
          Participant

I’ve seen this before..but can’t remember where right now. It was ( I think ) to show reference to the color of the oiler ( size ), and the amount of oil ( full amount-1/2-1/3 oiler.
            But I’ve been wrong before. 😯

There are many treatise out there on the subject…I’ve always liked this one as a starting point.
            And as a nod to Steve’s suggestion about synthetics, this chart is assuming that you these are the type sof lubricants you are using.

http://www.nawcc-index.net/Articles/BTI-The_Practical_Lubrication_of_Clocks_and_Watches.pdf

Bob Tascione

Hi all,
              Here are some pics from an ETA 6598/97 tech sheet showing these symbols being used. Makes it easy to show what lubricant goes where.

randy
              Participant

That’s it Bob !!! Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.