Home Forums General Discussion Forum Arrrgggghhhh

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    david carlson
    Participant

Ok, I disassembled a Seth Thomas Westminster chime that I bought from an auction. It was running fine before I took it apart. Dang, I made it worse. It wouldn’t finish the last beat of the chime and then it wouldn’t gong at the hour. So I took it apart again and put it back together. Now its worse. haha. Now it won’t bong or keep time.

Dang, this is harder than I thought. Not sure what is wrong.

Has everybody here been through classes or has had anybody else teach them? Is it possible to learn just through videos?

david carlson
      Participant

Maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

willofiam

Hi David. I have not had anyone teach me. I have read many books, almost all posts on this forum, anything I could read on the internet. I have used this forum as a learning tool, trial and error, anythng on u-tube, ect…Certainly the Seth Thomas Westminster chime clock movement will be a challenge for anyone starting out, even for more advanced repairers. If your still having trouble with the movement please try and be in-depth about what your dealing with and try to provide any photos to go along with it, I am sure there are many people on here that would love to help out. I would like to see what movement you have. Have a nice evening, William

david carlson
          Participant

SUCCESS!!!! third time is the charm…..I took the movement apart again and took a look at everything again. I found a couple of bent pinions. I inspected them before I put the clock together, I am thinking that I bent them while trying to get everything back together. I had noticed that the hour chime train gear wasn’t spinning as freely as the 1/4 hour side, that is what got me thinking about the pinions.

willofiam

Thats great David, :D William

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Great job. There have been times I have taken a clock apart 4 or 5 times before I saw the problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.