Home Forums General Discussion Forum Another watchmakers lathe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    torsion
    Participant

Hi all
      I have been looking for a cross slide for my IME watchmakers lathe but it seems they are as rare as rocking horse poo, so I have purchased another watchmakers lathe including cross slide and other parts, some I know what they are for and some I don’t.

so If the knowledgeable people on here could help it would be much appreciated,

firstly I can’t find a makers name on it although most of the collets measure very close to Derbyshire and the very top of the bed measures 1 and 15/32” or 36.5mm, and it has had an extra indexing plate fitted and I know one of the brass parts Is the mount for the indexing pin

second the two black and brass poles have two pulley wheels on top of one of them I haven’t a clue what they are for.
      Also the thing that looks a bit like a top slide but not sure what that is .

And last but not least various other handles and things plus a round knurled ring with two grub screws.

torsion
      Participant

More pictures

torsion
        Participant

More pictures

torsion
          Participant

All cleaned and painted in 2k ready for rebuilding just waiting for oil to arrive .
            Dell

vernon
            Participant

Beautiful work again Dell!
              Did you ever figure out what make lathe that is? I don’t have a clue; just wondering what it might be. Looks like a good quality machine.

Vern

torsion
              Participant

Hi vernon
                Yes it’s a Derbyshire Magnus 10mm found out when I stripped old brush paint off.
                There was zero wear on spindle or bearings so that was good runs very smoothly very happy, I just have to find some collets as there are a few missing but not easy to find here in UK and figure out what the other bits are for.
                Dell

drichards
                Participant

Ooooh that is a very nice instrument lathe Dell!
                  You even have the indexing attachment.
                  You sure did a good job bringing it back to life. I see the 10mm collets up on eBay every now and then.
                  Maybe Derbyshire can point you in the right direction for a used set in good condition.
                  Last I heard they were still in business?
                  Thanks for posting the eye candy pics!

Dean

torsion
                  Participant

Hi Dean
                    Thanks I am very happy with the way it turned out , I am only 6 collets short in the set and Derbyshire still make them for the Magnus but at £68 plus postage and as I am in uk import duty that’s a bit expensive, the trouble is 10mm Derbyshire collets are as rare as rocking horse poo over here but luckily there is a chap selling the ones I am short in USA and he will ship them over here already purchased them , it’s funny how it is always the commonly used ones are always missing, also ordered a very small quick change tool post , all I need now are male and female dead centres
                    Dell

bluerich
                    Participant

Torsion, Check out this tool for sale on ebay. Many of the parts seem to match those that you show. Hope it helps.

Antique Jewelers Watch Makers Machinist Mini Drill Press Parts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.