Home Forums General Discussion Forum Another great video sourece…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

After watching a few of these videos, I realize that I know nothing! You can start anywhere, but here os a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_DEZDpw8Q&list=UU28N7nZMQvVTKJmo_pCSfaA

Enjoy!
      Tom

tmac1956
      Participant

Here’s one showing them turning a pivot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0gZGAS3Kc&list=UU28N7nZMQvVTKJmo_pCSfaA

Enteresting…
        Tom

david pierce
        Participant

Tom,
          Those are great. They have added more videos since I first looked at them. Don’t you wish you could take off for a few years and go through their course? I know I would.
          david

tmac1956
          Participant

David:

You bet. If I didn’t have to work, I believe I would move where ever they’re located.

BTW…

You mentioned that you took one of the online courses but found some Russian movements that are cheaper than the ones sold by Otto Frei. I wouldn’t mind buying two of those to tinker with. Have you any recommendations for these?

Thanks a bunch!
            Tom

david pierce
            Participant

Tom,
              It was the TIMEZONE SCHOOL OF WATCHMAKING. I went through that before comming here. The movement I used was a Chinese copy of the ETA movement they recommended for the course. I think I paid $25.00 for the movement brand new. Type in CHINESE WATCH MOVEMENTS on the general internet and a bunch of distributers should come up. I think it was called an ES-50 but I am not sure. It was an automatic wind movement with a calendar.
              david

tmac1956
              Participant

Daivd:

After talking with you about maybe taking the TimeZone course, I went looking for a Chinese Clone for the ETA-50. It looks like TimeZone has changed to the ETA 6497-1 & ETA 6498-1 for the first course. I found this movement and I’m wondering what you think?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/184118608/17-jewels-hand-winding-mechanical

Believe it or not, these appear to be missing from eBay.

Later,
                Tom

[UPDATE} I did find some on eBay afterall. I had to do a little looking to find the correct maker and equivalent number.
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagull-ST-36-6497-hand-winding-movement-FREE-SHIPPING-/231225956102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d6241706

david pierce
                Participant

Tom,
                  You found a great watch for a first practice dissassembly, cleaning, reassembly, demagnatize, lubrication and adjustment. The one I was refering to was an automatic wind with a calander mechanism so there were a few extra parts involved. The watch you found is more similar in function and parts to an antique pocket watch than the automatic calander watch. This would also be a good watch to mill out in order to observe the movement under power.
                  david

tmac1956
                  Participant

David:

They must have changed the course a little since you were enrolled… It looks as though they are using standard mechanical movements for level one and then go to the more complicated automatics at level two.

Those Sea-guls look like nice movements for the money don’t they?

Thanks!
                    Tom

tmac1956
                    Participant

David:

Here’s a clone for the watch they’re using in the second part of the course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clone-ETA-2824-2-automatic-movement-High-grade-perlage-polish-finish-NEW-/321419763519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad61c5f3f

These seem to be very well made.

Thanks!
                      Tom

gerene
                      Participant

I did follow the 3 Timezone courses a few years ago. It was my first introduction to watches and I did enjoy it very well. The course is well made, especially the first 2 parts. It helped me a lot in understanding the workings of a watch and how to clean and lubricate them. Part 3 is really geared towards the Etachron regulator, but it explains the use of the timing machine as well.

Jan

david pierce
                        Participant

Esslinger has a good assortment of mechanical and electronic watch movements. Some of the mechanical movements are skeletonized and the prices are far lower than Ebay’s prices. I suspect that people are buying the movements from suppliers like Esslinger and reselling them on Ebay.
                          The guy who wrote the first two Time Zone courses (Walter Odets) was asked to write a review on a Rolex watch model. In spite of the fact that he gave a very honest and professional review he was attacked on the forums because he did not have a SWATA certificate. The attacks were generally along the lines of “you do not have a SWATA diploma therefore you do not know what you are talking about”. Sadly for those who benefited from his knowledge and expertise, he withdrew from the field. This is the reason he did not write the third Time Zone course.
                          david

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.