Home Forums General Discussion Forum Another clock with chime issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

Hi all,
      This must be my week for fixing clocks and they all seem to have chime issues. Yesterday one of my accutron customers called with a clock that wasn’t working properly and I told him to bring it on over. Anyway the clock ran but would not chime. The spring for the strike was wound tight but the spring for the chime would not click so spring would not hold a wind. When I took the movement out of the case I found that the spring that pushes the click back into the ratchet wheel bent. I bent it back and now everything works fine. My question is will this hold or does this spring need replaced. It seem to me that the constant rotation of the ratchet wheel when winding would act to rebend this spring back the wrong way. Clock is a Hermle. The click spring is just a flat spring that is attached to the movement with two feet that looked to be bradded from the inside of the plate.
      Thanks,
      Charles K

willofiam

Hey Charles, sounds like your keepin busy…difficult to tell you that bending the click spring back is going to hold..my first thought is..why did it bend back out of the way in the first place. I suppose depending on how far it was bent back, if there was any damage, crack or fracture in the steel that may be unseen. Those spring are easily made or you can buy assortments of them for the future. Have a nice evening.

c.kelly
        Participant

Thanks William,
          I should have taken a picture. The spring was basically a straight piece that pushed the click back as clock was wound. I’m supposing the as the clock was wound the click would push back slightly each click and over time the spring just bent. So far it seems to be working fine.
          Thanks again,
          Charles K

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.