Home Forums General Discussion Forum Anniversary clock keeps stopping

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike C
    Participant

20240227_095257I have some questions for which I really need help. I guess that my problem mainly comes from misunderstanding something but I’m not sure what I keep missing. I am working on this anniversary clock. I have the Horolovar 400 Day Clock book and I originally misidentified the clock as being plate 1106 but upon closer inspection realized that the upper screw hole for the guard screw is above the pivot hole and so the clock should be plate 1105? Going with 1105 I checked the suspension spring appendix and supplied the clock with the 23B Reiner Standard 56 spring. I tried to put the clock in beat only to have it stop about 15 minutes later. This continued no matter what I did. Then while looking through Mervin Passmore’s, Anniversary Clock Identification book I found that he listed the clock as a HR-MINE movement and a different suspension spring is used. I then tried that configuration as well to no avail. I am using a 166g bob. Yes, the screws on this clock are pretty chewed up but the majority of that was there before I got the clock. I have tried to bring the dead to life by disassembling, cleaning, polishing, pegging, oiling, etc. Oh yeah, and reassembling. Anyone out there have any susgestions? Anyone know the proper information on the suspension spring? All help and comments will be tollerated (but likely not followed if you tell me to, “Junk it”). I know someone out there has to have a solution. Thank you all.

Mike C

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Mike C.
      Dell
      Participant

Hi Mike

I had an email from Bob asking if I could help someone one the forum having trouble with a torsion clock and as that all I restore I will try to help.

As to what clock you have and hence what torsion spring you need can you post a clear close up picture of backplate with spring guard removed because when I try to get closer it goes fussy.

You say you have stripped and cleaned the movement but did you remove the mainspring?, the mainspring needs to be removed cleaned and oiled ( not greased ) I use light engine oil these clocks are very marginal on power so everything needs to be as friction free as possible.

You say you had wrong torsion spring to start with that in itself shouldn’t make any difference to it working or not but what does is position of fork and there must be a small gap between fork tines and anchor pin when fork turned left or right, I use a strip of paper to check.

Now beat setting is another thing that has to be spot on, it’s not like a normal pendulum clock where they are usually over powered , a lot of people have trouble setting the beat because the movement on the saddle support need to be very slight, I have a YouTube channel and I have done a video on how I do it and it only takes a few minutes .

Hope this is helpful anymore question ask on here or subscribe to my channel and ask me on there.

Dell

Mike C
        Participant

Dell, thank you so much. I watched a couple of your videos and found the problem. Someone, before me, had tried to adjust the concentric screw on the back plate and had it way off. I guess the pallets weren’t getting the extra bit of thrust they needed to send the fork to keep the motion running. This is the first clock that I have actually completely  disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and had run afterward. Thank you so much for the email and for the videos that you have put online. I can hardly wait to watch more of them.

Bob, thank you so much for fixing the bug in my post and for getting the information to Dell.

I really appreciate the help gentlemen. May you both continue to be blessed.

Mike C

Dell
          Participant

Hi Mike you are very welcome

I get torsion clocks sent to me from all over the UK because most clockmakers won’t touch them and you will be amazed how many have had the eccentric bush messed with, when it was set originally there should be no need to alter it, the only exception to that is when the saddle has the anchor bush in it because then that has to be setup, anyway glad you have sorted it out they can be a bit frustrating at times especially the midget ones.

I have just purchased a Gustav Becker in a walnut case for my collection where the mainspring has either broken or slipped off it’s hook so that usually does other damage as well but haven’t received it yet, I already have the same clock but in oak case .

I have a Schatz 1000 day clock that had the same problem as above but because it is designed to run for 3 years you can imagine how big the mainspring is and consequently how much damage it could do when letting go, I did a write up see my blog, enjoy your newly serviced clock.

one of my torsion clocks.

IMG_2017

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.