Home Forums General Discussion Forum …And Then the Heavens Parted…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Guys:

Here’s an excerpt from another thread that shows an important benchmark in my horological journey. Thank you for all the support! Tim :)

Well, Fellas,

I carefully inspected the entire train per Chris’ instructions, and I found no anomaly that could openly explain the lack of clearance between the exit pallet jewel, and the escape wheel “foot.” If you will remember, the foot had to be manually (read: gently) forced through, in order to give the next foot room to travel through the entry pallet jewel.

I pulled the pallet off, as well as the escape wheel and fourth wheel – all to no avail, in terms of a solution to the problem. I also traced back through the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wheels, all of which seemed to be in good working order. I reassembled everything and said a little prayer : /

It did the same thing. At this point, and with full knowledge that I had covered everything within my power and skill level, I opted for a banking pin adjustment. I turned the right pin clockwise from the bottom plate – just slightly – which, in turn, allowed the left pallet jewel to clear the escape wheel foot.

Once I did that, I checked it by putting the watch under power, and each time I moved the pallet fork back and forth, I got that characteristic “snap” that Bob achieved in his videos. It was so beautiful to see the watch respond – and showing me the fruits of my labor! Now, it was time to put the balance in.

I previously oiled the cap jewel into a “donut” size and shape, and the hairspring was attached and between the regulating pins. Before I knew it, the watch was ticking! The balance somehow found itself connected and running all by itself! The screw wasn’t even in yet. I continued to let the watch run, and checked all of my points of contact in case there was anything out of order – but, there wasn’t – the locating pins had found their holes, and all that was really left was to install the screw. Everything went just fine :)

I took a few minutes to bask in the glow of satisfaction that I got from taking the watch down, cleaning it, oiling it, and reassembling it back into running condition. Fulfillment, indeed! :D

I called it a night, and will reassemble the rest tomorrow when I get home :) When I texted my brother Joe, I told him just how much I had learned on this first watch – and that is, basically a mountain’s worth of information and experience.

But I wouldn’t have been able to do any of it without you guys to guide my way (of course, you too, Joe!) Half the satisfaction comes from actually doing the task, and the other half comes from the satisfaction of knowing and working with all of you. Give yourself a round of applause, you deserve it!!! 8-)

I’ll be in touch :)

Best,

Tim :) :)
      maitai11 Posts: 160Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:12 pm

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Good for you Tim. Always nice to get that feeling of accomplishment. Well done.

maitai11
        Participant

Thanks, Bernie…I’m over here thinking, hmmmmmm…

I CAN do it!!!!!

With your help and all the others :)

Best,

Tim :)

willofiam

Hey Tim, it is a grand moment of satisfaction :D At first it can be overwhelming but through trouble, trials and perseverance character is built. I think that is why most of the advice for someone starting out is to work on a larger, easier, complete watch or clock, and do one at a time, otherwise a person can get easily frustrated and overwhelmed and possibly throw in the towel. SSSOOOO, no matter the complexity of the timepiece, the satisfaction is still there when its done……I also think it is very important to learn the the proven methods first, then you will be better able to determine your own way in the future, at least you would have not started making shortcuts to begin with, making correct repairs to build onto in the future. So, Tim, congratulations and keep up the good work, William

tukat44
            Participant

My congratulations to my brother are a little late. This is no small feat. right through to the end, and now Tim, you have a little tick tock mechanism all your own that YOU have brought back to life, and as a result, have helped preserve a piece of history in the process. Again, Tim, Congratulations!!! A job well done indeed!
              Tukat

Bob Tascione

Good Job Tim,
                Congratulations!
                Bob

maitai11
                Participant

Thanks William, Joe, and Bob!

It’s all cased up and ticking away (losing a few minutes per day, so I’m carefully regulating it)

I started on my next watch today, a Hamilton 917 17 Jewel Open Face watch…I’ve got the whole thing torn down and ready for cleaning! I think that first one I did took three or four days, because I was following along with Bob’s vids first :) This Hamilton is interesting, and of course, I’m learning a lot that I didn’t know before. Bunnspecial on YouTube did a whole teardown and rebuild, which I referenced a couple times, although I didn’t watch anything close to the whole video…just the points I got hung up on – stem removal, etc.

Again, thanks guys, for sharing in my zeal and satisfaction in doing this thing. Hey – BOB, WILLIAM, CHRIS, JOE, BERNIE, REN, JAN, RANDY, PAUL, and anyone I forgot…You’re all responsible for creating this little addiction of mine :) Of course, it’s a welcome one! :)

Best,

Tim :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.