Home Forums General Discussion Forum Anchor Pallet jewel setting problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    derekas
    Participant

Learn by your mistakes comes to mind and I made two bad mistakes. I have taken apart and cleaned a english pocket watch and all went well until I noticed that one of the anchor pallet jewels was chipped although working. I heated the pallet to make the shellac soft to remove it and in the process of removing it I increased thew damaged jewel. The second mistake was I moved the other jewel. Now having lost the settings and with only one usable jewel and coupled with the fact that I have never worked on a Anchor pallet jewel before, it was going to be in a steep learning curve., The problem I have is two fold. The only replacement jewels I can purchase (ebay) in the UK are either too small or to large. I have tried to get a setting with a smaller jewel but I have to shellac for ever adjustment. Although this is good training it is taking a long time to say the least between every try at a setting.Therefore I have two questions.
      Is rubbing in a jewel about making a jewel that is to large into the correct size and if so how do I do this.
      Secondly I am completely confused as to what the setting should be and to what way the end angle of the jewel should face.

arutha
      Participant

Hi Derek,
        I can only answer one of your questions, rubbed in jewels are only in the plates of a watch, this does not refer to reducing their size, just the fitting type.
        Your second question, I bought a bag of mixed pallet jewels from one of the supply houses in the UK. I have been fortunate that when I needed one I have found one in this lot to fit. As with setting the jewels in their correct positions the first thing to check is that the escape wheel pivots are good, any excess movement in those pivot holes will have you altering the jewel positions for ever and never getting the watch to run. So far I have been luck and by moving them samll amounts at a time I have got a watch working. I would get a good book, claudius Sauniers Watchmakers Handbook would be a very good example. This is a real pain of a job and I dont envy you, this is something I still struggle with.
        you can reduce jewels but it is not an easy procedure, it involves using wax chucks, diamond paste ect and it is very difficult and takes practice to get the surfaces flat and even. You would be better off keeping an eye out on e-bay for lots or trying http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pallet-Jewels-Assortment-for-watches-spares-repairs-lot-/200817807609?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item2ec1ac90f9#ht_1758wt_1018
        Sorry I couldnt be more help.
        Paul.

derekas
        Participant

My Anchor pallet jewel saga may be resolved. After many hours searching the internet I gave up on UK suppliers and found the USA almost a treasure trove. I have purchased a ‘Garnet Vintage pallet Jewel setting tool’ from the USA ebay site and this tool is designed specifically for setting Anchor pallet stones. Also found another supplier in the USA that supplies pallet stones. I am now waiting for delivery like a child waiting for a new toy. Watch this space for the results.
          P.S. The packing of the loose jewels (stones) with thin card did not work but I have purchased some Brass shim (0.001mm – 0.005mm) and will give this a try.

arutha
          Participant

Good luck, I would be interested to see a picture of the tool you have for setting the stones, sounds very interesting!
            Paul.

willofiam

hey derekas, would you be able to post a picture of your escapement as well with pics of your new tool? thanks and have a fantabulous day, William

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.