Home Forums General Discussion Forum Am I under-oiling??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vanhooglesnort
    Participant

This video is long, but near the end they show the movement being lubricated. This instructor seems like he’s using a LOT of oil. About twice what I’ve been taught. Am I nuts?

willofiam

Hey vanhooglesnort, what video are you referring to.

vanhooglesnort
        Participant

Wow! I completely forgot to post the link. Thanks for being polite and not calling out my bonehead move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnh7O22mduE&list=UU28N7nZMQvVTKJmo_pCSfaA

randy
          Participant

Not in my book…way more than is taught in most text I’ve seen, regardless of the school/manufacturer.

I can “feel” it running down the arbors….

michael weaver
            Participant

Randy, your comment cracked me up! 😆

mahlon
              Participant

Hey guys, I don’t do watches and that seems like a lot of oil. I thought the purpose of oiling was to get them running, not to see how much oil runs out. I don’t think I use that much oil on a clock movement 😯 Mahlon

chris mabbott
                Participant

I remember reading somewhere that back in the day, the watch repairers were given a few carefully measured drops of oil from the main container and that was enough to lube quite a few watches. Beware if you ran out 😳

That being said, Perplxr has some good vids and he’s obviously a knowledgeable and patient fellow, but, I do things differently than he does on this particular watch, for example, I would never remove the cock with the balance still in motion, if anything is going to FU, it will happen while it’s moving. I also don’t pull off the balance assembly with the HS still attached, although many do. I also don’t pry the parts off with a sharp screwdriver, nor remove the delicate pallet fork from under the main plate, nor do I kinda twist off in a side to side motion the cannon pinion, the list goes on for me, but that is this persons way and he gets the job done so…. 🙄

arutha
                  Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

I also don’t pull off the balance assembly with the HS still attached

I never used to until once when pushing out the stud the balance moved and I pushed the stud down on to the arm of the balance hard enough to break the pivot. It was on a platform on a customers clock so I had to cut a new balance staff for it. Since then I always remove it complete, carefully, and support the balance as I move it, lay it upside down on the bench, twist the boot so the hairspring is free from that, mount the cock on the balance tack and then push out the stud.
                    As with everything, we find our own ways of doing things but I would like to point out if the hairspring is fine, like the type in a ladies wrist watch, then it wont support the balance and needs to be done Chris’s way or support the balance as you lift it out complete with the cock.
                    Paul.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.