Home Forums General Discussion Forum Alcohol lamp…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:
      I’m using denatured alcohol in my alcohol lamp, but I’m wondering if I should be using rubbing alcohol in the device instead. Denatured alcohol burns pretty hot. Should I be using something like rubbing alcohol instead?
      Thanks,
      tm

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        Denatured alcohol is ethanol with some extremely poisonous chemicals added to it. This could include formaldehyde, MEK, benzine, acetone and any number of other chemicals that they want to get rid of. It might be healthier to burn straight ethanol plus you can always put a little aside for drinking purposes.
        david

namonllor1953
        Participant

Hi Tom,
          I’ve been using denatured alcohol in my lamps for about 12 years now. When I’m straightening bamboo nodes, it’s a job of at least an hour run at a time. I’ve never had any problems with anything catching fire. My lamps are also made of metal.

tmac1956
          Participant

David

Drinking is a good thing!

Later,
            Tom

bernie weishapl
            Participant

I have been using denatured alcohol in my alcohol lamps for 30 yrs or so. I think rubbing alcohol has to much water in it. Never tried it so don’t know. Don’t use moonshine or grain alcohol because it is a waste to burn when you can drink it. 😆

arutha
              Participant

I also use denatured alcohol but it is known as methylated spirits this side of the pond. From what I have read on the net it is safe to use but just be sensible and make sure you have a window open or some ventilation. I don’t have windows open in my workshop in the winter but then its only me in my workshop and as it burns such a small amount and is not on for long I have never had a problem.
                Paul.

chris mabbott
                Participant

Not sure what I’m using as all it states is Alcohol para quemar, which means to burn. I have one of those cheap 6 sided glass things and it doesn’t burn well, not sure if it’s the alcohol or the wick??

So I’ve been using my small butane torch which works perfectly on low setting..

tmac1956
                  Participant

Chris:

I have one of those self-lighting mini torches too. I have a difficult time getting them refuled though. I lose more butane to the atmosphere than I get into the torch. ;)

Later,
                    Tom

david pierce
                    Participant

Chris,
                      Denatured alcohol is ethanol with extremely poisonous chemicals added to it to keep people from drinking it. This was done in the prohibition era in the U.S. back in the 1930s. It has an unpleasant unique smell to it almost like rancid varnish. Straight ethanol can be made from a number of plant products but most of it is made from corn.
                      david

arutha
                      Participant

Hi David,
                        you are quite correct about the dangerous chemicals in denatured alcohol and I would strongly advise against drinking it but the small amount of fumes given off when burning it are highly unlikely to do anybody any harm if adequate ventilation is used. I have just done an extensive search on the internet and cant find any information with regards to inhaling burning methylated spirit/denatured alcohol being harmful. If you think about how it is contained in the lamp and is only being drawn up through a wick and instantly burnt then I would imagine it is quite safe. If it was not I am sure there would be a lot of info on the net telling us not to use it?
                        Now if anyone is considering inhaling the fumes from the bottle for prolonged periods or even drinking it, well now that is a different story.
                        Paul.

daryn
                        Participant

They make camping stoves that burn this stuff so I should think in this age of litigation culture it’s probably fairly safe, given its acceptable to cook with

daryn
                          Participant

Hey Chris, I also tend to use the butane torch,
                            Are you sure it’s not benzine in your lamp, could be why it doesn’t burn well?

chris mabbott
                            Participant

I don’t think so, it’s some form of alcohol, they sell it in the grocery store and pharmacy and it does smell like alcohol. There’s a pictogram of an outdoor/camping light on the bottle so it must be the correct stuff. I think it might be the cheap wick? It sputters and sparks rather than burns with a nice flame, even after the wick has soaked it up..

Tom.. There are a few vids on the tube that show you the correct way to fill butane torches. Found out I’d been doing it wrong all these years 😆

gerene
                              Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

Chris:

I have one of those self-lighting mini torches too. I have a difficult time getting them refuled though. I lose more butane to the atmosphere than I get into the torch. ;)

Later,
                                Tom

I had the same problem Tom, untill I found out that the whole trick is in keeping the torch upside down.

Jan

tmac1956
                                Participant

Guys.

I watched several vids which do show refueling the torch upside down. I’m beginning to think that its the refill nozzle that’s causing the problem. I bought six canisters and they come with some plastic adapter nozzles – I suppose for different torches.

Anyway, I can fill the torch but not without losing a large portion around the nozzle. I love that little torch though – it’s very handy.

Thanks!!!
                                  Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.