Home Forums General Discussion Forum Alaron wall clock.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ewinrow
    Participant

I picked-up this wall clock from a friend today and as usual, the same old song. It worked when I had it hanging on my wall about 5 yrs ago. (“Yea right”). I don’t thing it is worth much and I brought it for experience. I haven’t had time as of yet to check into the movement or anything. Figured I’d check with some of the clock people on here 1st. Now a couple of quick questions, 1. The name Alaron, doe’s it ring anyone’s bells? 2. When I swing the pendulum it will rock maybe 15 times and then stop. Should I start with just a cleaning and inspection? Or might their be a quick fix just to get it to run to check the timing and chimes? It may not be a Seth Thomas but A good patient for surgery.

mahlon
      Participant

I would guess, that it is Korean, or possibly Hermle. I just did one similar to ita week or so ago. You can try to put it in beat, but my guess is that it will have to be cleaned before it will run. Most of those that I have seen have been filled with WD40. Mahlon

ewinrow
        Participant

I thought so. Wash time. I thought that. goanna be another patient awaiting attention for now. Got two more coming-in and don’t know what they may need.

ewinrow
          Participant

Hey Mahlon, based on what has already been posted, can you give me any detail on this clock? (Known Details.) I already see details within it’s structure that just screams,,,,, “CHEEP”….. CHEEP….. CHEEP….. What a chick. I paid $10.00, sight unseen and already have been let down. :( …..it’s all good though.

mahlon
            Participant

I think they were made in the 50s-60s. They are just an inexpensive clock. The one I just did, belong to a customers grandmother and hearing it chime reminded them of her. So in that aspect it has sentimental value. I have one in my shop, that had been laying on a shelf for about 6 years. When I finished they’re clock, I dusted mine off just to see if it still ran. It still keeps time 😯 For me it was a good clock to practice on, since I am still learning how to work on them. If you take it apart, be careful with the winding arbors. The wheel bushings brake lose from the wheel, pretty easily. If you are going to repair it for resale, I probably would not spend too much time on it. Mine, I will keep for parts, just in case some one else brings one in for repair. Did you all get hit with this latest round of storms? It am working on a Hermle movement right now. I just broke a pivot off of the verge. I am in no way good enough at the lathe to repivot. I will probably just put a new movement in it, unless I can find a verge 😥 Mahlon

ewinrow
              Participant

Hey Mahlon, thanks for the tips. Here in VA, were just getting a lot of rain. I may fumble with this clock one day, I have a couple of others coming in soon. Their supposed to be in working order, hopefully just a brief inspection and some cleaning and oiling. 😯

arutha
                Participant

They are quite cheaply made, pressed out parts and plates etc but even so they can be serviced and mainsprings replaced. Its hard to imagine why anybody would want one of these but then how many times did people think that about the cheap clocks of 100 years ago? If they had not bothered to repair them or just put them away somewhere we wouldn’t have any to admire or repair now. If we had one of these in the house and our grandchildren grew up with it I am sure it would become as valuable to them sentimentally as any other clock. I am already starting to see these being bought in from time to time so definitely get round to look at it as I think they will be becoming more common to the repairer as time goes on and the other thing I like is they run for 31 days, well sometimes :)
                  paul.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.