Home Forums General Discussion Forum alarm wont stop ringing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gdjones321
    Participant

I am working on a kitchen clock with an alarm.
      This is my first one with an alarm and I don’t under stand how to set it or make it stop ringing.
      Hoping someone can give me some advice as to what to look for.
      Thanks
      gdj

willofiam

Some of these alarms will have a stop-works so they can only wind up so far and unwind so far, alot of them do not have the stop-works, which I am assuming you have. In that case it will run until it cant anymore. The best way to test these is to have the dial off yet keep the alarm setting dial cam (not sure exactly what it is called) on the hour pipe. Assuming you have all the parts there….alarm setting dial cam, lever that rides this cam, wire from this lever to the alarm, and a complete alarm mechanism. As you turn the alarm setting dial cam with the lever on its highest surface the alarm should not run because the wire is just short enough to pull the verge on the alarm to one side. when the lever finally drops off the highest point of the cam it should release the verge to allow it to run. To test for proper setup you would continue to turn the alarm setting dial cam as the alarm is running, as you continue to raise the lever on the slope of the cam it should pull the wire enough to stop the alarm from running at approximately half way up the slope. Adjustments would be either a careful bend on the arm that comes off the alarm verge or shorten/lengthen the wire that pulls it. Setting the alarm when all adjustments are correct would be to put the # relating to the time you want the alarm to go off (with the alarm setting dial cam) under the hour hand….at any time of the day….it will take some playing around to get used to exactly where to set it but remember that 100 years ago approximate time of day was good enough. Have fun….let me know if this really confusing or not. William

gdjones321
        Participant

Thanks for the advice.
          I’ll check it out.
          gdj

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.